So working for Jetblue I get free for flights. I was planning to take Jake to Vegas while he was off work. His birthday is on the 24th, I really wanted to celebrate it special. He's 30 this year. The flights didn't look that hot so we decided not to. Instead I decided to do a surprise for Jake's birthday, and get a hotel for the night and take Jake somewhere fun without kids. I set up a room for a decent price and tried to figure out how I was going to get him there, and have fun things planned...I ended up giving my sister a call to help me out. Joscilyn certainly helped by leading Jake on to believe the surprise was on me, not him. She told him that they were stopping while on their way to Nevada to see other family. They were suppose to be coming from Oklahoma. So she asked him to have us meet them in the lobby of "our" hotel while they checked out, so we could eat lunch with them before they had to go. This was all a fib to get him to the hotel for the real surprise. We were suppose to check in at noon (hence lunch with my sister at noon). So the next morning I was scrambling to get us packed without him knowing. I did it all, with very planned out and detailed sneakiness.....really, I'm not quite sure how I pulled it off.......oh yeah, Jake was playing the Wii, I packed stuff right in the same room as him and he didn't even know it. At the last minute we decided that we were going to meet Heidi and Jared Case for breakfast before meeting "my sister". We ended up meeting at Ihop and I broke the news. As Jake was explaining to Jared that we couldn't stay long because we had to be somewhere I interrupted and told him that the surprise was on him not me, and that for his birthday I had planned to get a hotel room for the night and take him to Park City to have fun. The hotel we were suppose to get in Orem for such a great deal was suppose to have a Jacuzzi tub in it, it didn't. So long story short we ended up getting a Villa up in Park City and we split the cost. Jake and I had our own side in the 2 bedroom suite. On our side was a King size bed, bathroom, mini kitchen and a big flat screen TV. in the middle was the big Kitchen, dining area, living area with a fire place and another big flat screen TV. In the second room there was another TV, king size bed, separate bathroom, huge tub and there was also a laundry closet. Pretty cool. We stayed at the MountainSide Marriot in Park City. It was so much fun. I'm glad it worked out this way, because we didn't have to come back after a fun filled day to stay in a cheap hotel in Orem. We checked in and then went to Walmart to get clearance swim suits for Heidi, Jake and Jared. We then went to the factory outlet stores for Heidi. On our way back we stopped and ate dinner at Squatters (I wasn't too impressed), we also stopped at Albertson's to get some things to make breakfast with. We got back to the hotel and got changed and went down and played in the hot tub, and the heated outdoor pool. We stayed up pretty late playing games then we got to disappear into our own rooms and shut the door. It was weird not having a 4 year try to sneak into our bed. I didn't even get up to nurse a hungry baby, boy was I engorged by the morning. When we got up we showered got packed, ate an awesome yummy omelet that Jake made.
We checked out and then went and did the Olympic tour.
While we waited for the tour bus and guide we walked through the cool things.
We got to see some of the costumes worn during the ceremonies and the metals. I got to even pretend I was an Olympic skier...I totally look like I'm having fun huh? LOL That was awesome.
We had Carl Roepke as our guide there. He was very humble.
During this tour we got to see the bobsled, luge, skeleton track.
It was actually on turn 12 of 15 that we got to check it all out. I got to even feel the ice :) It was really cool, I mean awesome!!

I even got the chance to meet Lyndsey Van , Really neat. She is going places for sure. After she signed my information brochure and I got a picture with her I asked her if she gets the stomach in your throat feeling when she goes down the jump, she said that she does, on the good ones. It was way cool meeting her. Watch for her in VanCouver for this coming Winter Games, she'll be there for the 1st time ever for Women's Nordic Jump. Pretty impressive she's #2 in the Nation.
After we had lunch, Me, Jake, and Jared went to some of the Art Galleries in Park City, Pretty interesting.

Upstairs was this artist that worked with glass, he did mostly vases and things, they looked a lot like pottery. Kind of cool. This was one of his more interesting things he did. I though Austin would appreciate this art :)

Down stairs was this crazy artist she did wacko things like this. I swear you felt like this crazy looking baby was going to move at any minute, or it's life like eyes were going to keep watching you as you moved around the room, kind of creepy. I think they put her art in the basement to either hide it, or freak people out.
We also went to a Gallery that had stainless steel frogs, and bronze painted frogs. They were my all time favorite. The picture I took of them didn't turn out at all.
The last place we went to was odd. They had these weird barn paintings all over that didn't have much too them. I was confused why they were so expensive. Jared and I asked what the painter was suppose to be portraying. It almost seemed to me that the artist wasn't finished or something. he was forgetting something, I just couldn't figure out what. Maybe a bigger door, or some windows, or some worn paint. I just thought this was way to simple. I didn't like it. I sure wouldn't be the one to pay thousands of dollars for a painting this huge that I didn't understand. I'm not even sure what it would compliment. Maybe a white sofa???After the day was over we headed home. It was a great surprise. I didn't even spoil it. It was very tough for me though. It was really fun watching Jake's face when I told him the plan :)
Happy Birthday Jake, I love you, I hope all this was as fun for you as it was for me watching you.


2 comments:
What a cool surprise. It sounds like you guys had a much needed and enjoyed break.
Wow- you sure do treat Jake like a King!! Hey, did Lace ask you how much you would charge to take some family pictures for me? I'd like a few family shots, some of the kids, and some of mer and I. Let me know- YOu can get my number from lace or email me! THanks!
Post a Comment