Saturday, July 18, 2009

Week 4: House Hunt

So we have been looking for houses. Our idea is that if we're here for at least 5 years we should be trying to build some equity. We've gone out with our Realtor, he seems pretty cool, he's not pushy and he emails me properties that fit into what I've asked for 4 bedrooms, at least 2 bathrooms, has to be more then 1700 square feet, and on more than a 1/2 an acre of property. The prices don't usually go over $190k. I send him a reply back at the homes we want to look at. He meets us there and opens the doors. We basically walk through and he just gives us pointers on things that they've upgraded on. He's given us cards for pre-qualifying banks. We're going to try and go through our Credit Union here. As we've been looking at homes I've noticed that they don't have basements out here. When I mentioned this to Dave he said, oh yeah we do. Then he took us to a home that "had" a basement. It didn't, the bottom level is above ground and the entryway is on the second floor. Kind of weird, but the more we thought about it, it would be normal for here, we're at sea level. I'm sure basements aren't the best idea out here. We've seen a few homes, nothing that's popped out at us yet, but we do want to be closer to the hospital. Most of the homes out here come with usually close to an acre of land. Tons of room for the kids to run and play. Also the homes here use Well water, and you have a septic tank instead. So usually there's a black pipe that sticks out of the ground and it has to be so far from the well water which is usually the white pipe that sticks out of the ground in the front or back yard. Everyone has that here. It's nice though when we're taking showers and such, the water seems to go farther here. And the tap water doesn't taste like chlorine, it's more like.....sulpher LOL. We've noticed in our place that when you first run water it smells kind of like sulpher. Good thing we have a reverse osmosis water system in the kitchen luckily. The kids don't notice the fart smell when you put your nose in your glass to drink, but I DO. And I'm saving money on not having to buy bottled water. I have it on tap now. I hope we can do that when we find a place. I love the reverse osmosis water here. Needless to say we're still looking, but even if we come home after 5 years, we will have a summer home to come to. Or we can rent it out later. You never know how it will pan out.

6 comments:

Norm and Frances said...

Is it five years or three????

Virginia said...

I bet it is fun to be able to look at your leisure and not have to make a snap decision.

Lowe Family said...

Good Luck! I was just thinking how nice but ALSO how stinky it is when you own your own home like when you garbage disposal goes out, your swamp cooler breaks, your gutters need to be replaced...we have to fix it all and it all cost $$$ and lots of it! BUT it is nice knowing your money is not being thrown away :) have fun looking!

Teresa said...

I'm so excited for you guys! Good luck house hunting! It seems like you are doing good. I am so blessed by knowing all of you. You brighten my day. I lovd you!

Mike and Shawna's Blog said...

Hey! It would be so great for you to get your own house! I bet the kids love all of the space to play in up there. Have they made some new friends? How does Jake like his new job?

Nancy said...

Hi Ty, this is Ken. I'm glad to hear that everything is going well up there. This is in response to the earlier blog about the milk cartons. There are a couple of different reasons why the milk up there is packaged this way. First of all, pretty much all of the grocery products have to be flown in, when you put milk in a plane and fly it above 25k feet, there is a phenomenon known as flux capacitation that occurs. In order to remedy this, they have discovered that you need to take the top angle off of the milk cartons and increase the thickness. The reason for the larger lid is because Alaska has a non-standardization lid act in which nothing with a lid is allowed to mimic any lid from the mainland U.S. Hope this shed some light on the situation for you and anyone else reading this. If you need anything else answered, please let me know. I am a fountain of bogus information :)