
Today 10 years ago, I lost my mom to Liver Cancer. It was a very difficult time for me. Kurtis was 3 and Austin was a little over a year and half. I was getting divorced and trying to cope with all the losses in my life. I never thought that I would pull my self together. My mom was a wonderful person. She had many talents, one of them being musical, she could play the piano, in fact that is one of my mom's favorite talent that she had. My favorite song that she would play was Jessica's Theme from The Man from Snowy River. Anytime I hear it on the Radio or just in passing, it can turn on my tears like a faucet. My family knows that when this song comes on, it's QUIET TIME. This past few months has been harder than most. I have missed my mom so much. I have truly felt her with me more than ever. Thanksgiving morning, on our drive to our friends, I felt her so close, like she was a passenger in our car. I could smell her. On Christmas morning I laid in bed reminising all the fun things that we did as a family, how we would go day to day and not even think about the day we wouldn't have her. When I finally got up to join my family, Jake asked if I was ready for my gift from him. As he was pulling something up on the laptop, I said sure....not even 3 seconds later, Jake played Jessica's Theme. My tears came flowing, I couldn't hold anything back. I sobbed, I couldn't control it. Through the whole song I cried. Jake cried with me. When it was over I smiled at him and said, Thank you. He smiled back and said, Your welcome. He gave me the perfect gift. A memory of my mom. He downloaded the soundtrack from The Man from Snowy River for me. I can hear the song anytime I want to now. He has been such a support for me. Times when I can't hold myself up he's there to listen to me complain, and cry. Even if it's in my closet huddled in a ball...he's heard every word. He is what holds me together a lot of the time. I know that if my mom was face to face with Jake, she would approve. I know that she would be so proud of him.
I miss my mom terribly, but how I am so grateful for her closeness during these times of struggle, and how I am even more grateful for the plan of Happiness. For the chance we have to see each other again. I know she's with me, I know she's proud, I know she's cheering me on.
I miss her so much. But I do cherish the small memories, or the triggers that I can get talking to others, or songs, or something that happens.
10 years ago, I lost my mom to Liver Cancer, but 10 years later I AM A BETTER PERSON THAN I WAS. Thank you Jake so much for such a perfect gift.
3 comments:
Your mom would be so proud of you. I'm so glad you have been able to feel her. That is a very special gift in itself. Love you sis
I look forward to the day when I can meet your mom. She sounds like such a neat person. I love looking at the picture you gave me.
This is really beautiful, Ty. You have been through a lot - I don't know if most people would have handled it as gracefully as you seem to have. I guess we each have our individual trials that build us in the way that is best.
Post a Comment