
In our Ward here in Alaska, we have Celestial University. For those that don't know what that is, I'll kind of explain. It's similar to Young Women and their recognition program. This is centered for Relief Society Sisters instead. You can use all kinds of things to pass off. One of them is reupholstering a chair. My chairs were bought about a year ago with our dining room table. These used to be chairs from the church. They were in good condition when we got them, but from my demolition babies using moon sand, playdough, and eating things like oatmeal, and cereal....any kind of food that has the potential to take flight is on these chairs. I figured I would start over. My friend Candy gave me some polyester that wasn't too attractive for much of anything else. So I decided to use it on my chairs. I wanted it to last some so I used my %50 off at Joann Fabric and got some recycled plastic about 7 yards of it. I tore a chair apart, then recovered it by stapling the new fabric and plastic on each piece. I was hoping to have easier clean up with the plastic cover on it. But as Austin pointed out....it probably won't take my kids long to destroy them. He reminded me that they would probably take a fork or something to them. He was right. But for now, it's something that looks a lot nicer. In the future if I need to do it again, at least I will know how. I feel very accomplished doing this. I feel that I did what was necessary to pass off a section of my Celestial University, I have repaired my vacuum without help, I have done so many things. Through those things I feel that I have become a better knowledgeable person. But I wanted to share something fun I wanted to do, that I have accomplished. Now my chairs don't look so yucky.
4 comments:
Good job, Ty! I wish I could be more resourceful like that. I think your chair look great.
I always thought that was a great idea. An old room mate of mine did that same thing but because her kids would always fight over where they were going to sit she had them pick out "special fabric" for them and did each chair with their fabric. That plastic stuff is invalue-able :) with kids!!
I am not brave enough to try something like that!!! They look wonderful!!!! New chairs with little effort!!! Doesn't it feel good to accomplish something like that? I have several things I have made a goal to learn this summer, and so far I have accomplished one of them, forgot one of them, and am working on finding time to do one of them.
You did and awesome job!
Wow...what a difference. You did a fantastic job. I hope the plastic lasts becasuse I thought that was brilliant. I like the Celestial University idea.
Post a Comment