Friday, October 22, 2010

Ember's Science

Em and Bridger Let the butterflies go on the 10th of September. I'm so on top of this blogging thing....
Anyways, it was cool. We waited for a day where it wasn't raining, which was pretty hard to do. Especially because it rained nearly everyday this summer.....that is no exaggerations. Each of the kids had so much fun....They didn't fly away right away. Some of them needed some coaxing. Luckily, because the kids were so involved in this hatching process. They were patient and did really well with the release of the butterflies.

 The kids brought the net outside.
 Then one at a time they would reach in and let a butterfly climb on their finger and pull it out and wait for it to leave....
 Sometimes it would land on the grass and hang out. Some times they would fly and come back and land on the kids. They thought that was cool.
 It really did take a lot of coaxing for them to take flight.
 So much time they each had a turn to have their picture taken with one.
 I loved the colors that they had. So cool.
I was so impressed with the calmness that Theron had. He waited so patiently for it to take flight. I loved to watch how gentle he was with them....We kept the net for next year. Ember wants to do it again next summer. I had a lot of fun. We documented each day. Something very educational





2 comments:

Norm and Frances said...

That really sounds like an awesome thing to watch. Can see how the kids learned a lot! The butterflies really are pretty! If you release them in Sept. what happens to them for the winter?

Someone else said...

Fun experiement that gave you some great pictures. So cute.