Monday, November 10, 2014

Welcome Home Grandpa M

On November 1st my Grandpa passed away and was finally reunited with my Grandma. The last 20 years or so of his life hasn't been the easiest. He has withered away to nearly nothing. His brain could no longer remember anyone and he laid in a bed unrecognizable.

There are a lot of memories I have that are so good with my Grandpa. He was such a great man. So respectable. Everyone that knew him loved him. He served every where he went. I am so grateful that he was a man that I knew in my life.

I remember as a young girl going to grandma and grandpas on Sunday to eat dinner and Grandpa helped us find bullfrogs after dinner. He would get old bread bags to put them in. We tried to sneak them home, but those dang bullfrogs wouldn't be quiet. He would laugh when my mom would learn what we had hid in the car. I remember helping him burn garbage in the drum by the swing set. I remember helping him feed the cows, I remember hanging out in his shop with him. He would give us a hand full of screws and nuts and who knows what to organize while he worked on things. I remember watching him check his bees hive. I remember helping him light the fireplace by putting crumpled up newspaper inside. I remember helping him haul coal in for the fireplace. I remember helping him grind flour for his famous sourdough pancakes. I remember him paying us to comb his bald head. I remember tickle backs as a very young kid. I remember Christmas' and the big white christmas tree. I remember sitting on the steps petting one of the cats. I remember him helping us with that first boost to get into the big maple tree so we could climb as high as we could. He would stand below and tell us what branch was more sturdy. I remember watching him mow the front yard and him getting after us for playing under the pinetrees. I remember helping reload shells in his gun room in the basement. I remember camping trips, and his bear stories. I remember thinking that he was either a really good story teller. I remember so much about him that thinking of the last 20 years and his struggles hurt.

I am so grateful to have had him in my life. I am so happy for him and Grandma and that they are finally together. That he is no longer stuck in his shell of a body. How I will miss him when I was younger. I can't wait for the sweet day that I will be able to give him a hug and not have it be strange. I will miss you Grandpa!

No comments: