I've been thinking about it for the last few days and thought a lot about why we are modest and why we're so adamant about our children dressing with modesty also. I've thought a lot about the way I have grown up with and without these morals behind me. And the way Jake had grown up with these morals also. The times in my life when I refused to obey these standards I was at my weakest, and I would have to admit, my lowest also. My self esteem was also low at these times. I went onto LDS.org to find an article that I could read regarding this subject.
This was in August's Ensign , by Elder Robert D Hales on Modesty.
I loved this talk, it also brought to my attention that to be able to bring the Spirit into our lives our modesty is a way that we can do that. Without modesty we aren't humble, without humility we aren't inviting the Spirit to be with us. I love the scripture he used in his talk describing our humility in our appearance and our behavior.
“By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another” (John 13:35)
To help us be modest we need to be able to keep the Whole Armor of God, not just part of it.
*The “breastplate of righteousness” helps us to have the Spirit with us always, guarding our heart and soul.
*Having our “loins girt about with truth” gives us the foundation to build faith and develop our testimony.
*The “sword of the Spirit” is the word of God to pierce the darkness so that we may have light and truth to guide our way in life.
*Having our “feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace” by reading and studying the scriptures helps us be obedient to the laws, ordinances, commandments, and covenants of God.
I now have found a reason why we live these principles. Why we guide our children to do the same. It makes our lives easier when we have the Gospel in our home.
To help invite the Spirit in our homes and our lives we dress modestly, and we always try to behave in a manner that is pleasing to our Heavenly Father. I'm constantly working on my behavior, I'm far from perfect when we're talking about behavior, but I'm trying. I'm grateful for this principle of modesty and the lessons I've learned through this simple concept. I am grateful to know that when I'm being modest and being an example to my children this will hopefully help them in their modesty as they grow in this horrible world we are living in.
1 comment:
Awesome blog Ty. Isn't it great when we can use our experiences, our strengths, and our weeknesses to teach our children a gospel principle.
Post a Comment