Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back to School

My little Austin had his first day of School yesterday, he's in Sydney's class again with Mr Turner. Austin isn't to thrilled about having a guy teacher, probably because he knows he can't kiss up to a male teacher like he can female teachers. I had to wake him up and he was nearly late. He had a great day though. I'm not to thrilled that Mr Turner is going to be having them do a Presidential election in their classroom. Jake and I did this in school when it was Bush and Ducassas, Mr Turner had told the kids that he'd hoped that they would all vote for Obama. I'm not a political person at all, but I have an issue with someone that's running as President and who won't pledge our Flag, among other things. Austin said that he was excited about having a vote. He thought that his teacher seemed really funny too. I've heard a lot of good things about Mr Turner, so we'll wait and see what happens.
EmberLee had her test also for preschool, we've been practicing that she doesn't know her colors and shapes and numbers. Apparently that's bad parenting skills I heard, she had to show off what she actually knows, and threw everything I had tried telling her out the window :) She knew all the colors, and she knew all the shapes but the rectangle, she called it a monopoly. She showed off with her numbers, and even counted in Spanish for the teacher(what the crap, I thought she forgot how to do that). She couldn't write her name (yeah, I accomplished something. he he) and she recognized most of the letters (Dang it). But the teacher said that they don't score them on what they know, they compare them to the other kids. So basically, if the other kids are smart she'll be in like sin baby, if their are a bunch of dumb kids we're screwed, our EmberLee is smarter than I had even anticipated. If she doesn't get in, I'll actually have to work with her, which will be OK, but I wanted her to be able to have other kids to hang out with. I'm hoping to pull a few of the moms in our ward together and make our own preschool. once or twice a week and we can trade who's home it's at. We'll find out on Friday our outcome to this solution :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For so many reasons, I sure hope Ember gets into school. It will be so good for her, like I said, for so many reasons.

She is such a smart little one and so much energy. It will be good for her to learn her "limits" and how to channel all of that energy.

I think we are all going to be amazed at how fast she grows up after starting school. The first couple of days may be rough, because she is going to have to learn a lot of different ways to go about things, but, all in all, I think it will be so good for her...although, I am not sure I am ready for her to be so grown up.

Her and me are "buds". She is awesome!