Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sick little Baby

So on Sunday during Conference Theron wasn't feeling to hot. His eye was gooping up by the minutes, by the time we got home his right eye was glued shut.
Monday morning I took him in and found out that he has a nasty ear infection and possible RSV. Ya know I am so frustrated with that, because I've been missing church so often trying to keep him from getting RSV. I'm nearly in-active between my own health issues and Theron's. I may just need to become a Saint Mattress worshiper.
Monday at about 2 in the morning my little guy woke up with a fever of 104.3, so we doped him up on Ibruprofen and headed to the ER. By the time we got there his fever had broke and he seemed to be doing fine, we decided to still have him checked, so the ER Dr comformed that he probably had RSV (but a tests weren't run either time). So for the next day every 6 hours we were giving Theron Ibruprofen, and putting him in a bath to keep on top of the spiking fevers that would ingulf the poor baby. Weds morning I was going on like 2 hours of sleep between the small cat naps Theron would take and the painful crying fits he was having, and tring to keep up with Bridger and his little escapades. I took him back into the Dr office. Kristy (Dr. Later's PA that saw Theron) couldn't believe how high his fevers are/were, so she consulted with Dr Later and he said that we needed to go and get him suctioned(to have it tested for RSV, and other infections that could be making his fevers skyrocket), chest X-ray(because they thought he may have phnemonia instead of RSV), and blood work done. His little ear was a lot worse after being on anitbiotics after 4 doses. Luckily Jakes mom came to my rescue this morning from the Peanut Butter TV :) and agreed to stay with the kids while I took care of Theron. After I got back, I got a call from Kristy about the results. He was anemic(which is usually not uncommon for a small baby to be anemic when he's sick), his white blood cell count was through the roof and some inflamatory test was also out of control. We had finally found out for sure, he does have RSV. So Jake and I after he got home took him in for a booster shot of antibiotics for the infection. That night he slept well and so did I. We didn't have any spiked fever episodes, but I was told to take him back in to check his lungs and his ear the next morning. When we got in there he was happy and content for the most part. She was so shocked to look in his ear and find that his ear looked night and day different. His little body wasn't getting better with the oral antibiotic. But the shot did wonders. She asked that we come back the next morning to check him again, and give him another dose of the shot(we can do it up to 3 times if needs be.). So Friday morning Jake and I went in and she checked him, he was now showing real signs of RSV, and his ear started to look bad again, so we went ahead and did the shot to help him.
It's been so rough having a sick little baby. I hate it. I think even more so the fact that I'm nursing he shouldn't even be getting ear infections. This is his 4th one already and he's barely 7 months old. So once again, Easter and Austin's Birthday I get to stay home with a sick little baby so I don't spread the love(RSV).

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Poor baby. I'm glad he's feeling so much better. I'm glad Jake is a worthy Priesthood holder, and can give blessings when needed.

Amber and Greg said...

Caden had RSV about the same time. Luckily it was never that bad, but it sucks to have a new baby that is so sick, huh?