Thursday, June 25, 2009

Week 1: Bear Protection

So those few people that even look at my blog (not that I care if anyone reads my blog or not, because honestly this is my family journal, something I can turn into a book or 2 or 3 for my kids and grand kids and so forth to read), our first topic for our 1st thursday will be "Bear protection", because that was the only request I really got. You all will eventually hear all of them, obviously :). So next week I guess I'll try the voting system differently :) So I was on the phone the other day with someone from the school district, she had made mention that if you die from anything eating you in Alaska, at least you'll see it coming. I thought.....I know RIGHT. Buffalo, Caribou, Moose, BEAR. They're all very large :) The good thing about being here, are there isn't one snake out there among all these trees, I'm sure there may be a dead body or two. It's a perfect hiding spots for murderers to ditch a body or something. Not that I think like that always or anything, just made an observation :) But that brings me to my next point. If there could be dead bodies in the trees, maybe there are bones and carcasses from Bear lunch or something. Anyways, Jake and I made a visit to the local Walmart about 15 minutes away. It's actually rated #1 in the US. I'm trying to figure out if it's because of the XD40's they sell behind the counter in the Sporting Goods department, or if it's that they're deals are "that" good. So we walked in and saw all the "BIG" hand guns just sitting there, in Sporting Goods, right in front, next to the fishing poles and such. I was completely amazed that they sell those at Wal-mart. It's not like we all make our shopping lists.......You know the list.... Milk, Eggs, Butter, Bread, XD40 Handgun, Cereal, Shampoo, Floss, Deoderant. What the crap, who does that right? This isn't something that I know of that is done in Utah. This was a very weird observation that Jake and I have made note of. Of course, the other odd thing to me would be that I don't have to have a Concealed license permit to carry any one of those large hand guns. I could walk around with it in my belt, pants, bra (if I had boobs big enough to conceal the dang thing). Infact I wouldn't even have to conceal it if I didn't want to. Crazy right? It makes getting a gun much easier than I thought. They do run your Background check and hold your gun for 15 days or something before you can actually walk out of the store with it, but I could carry it around with me. I decided to ask the lady behind the counter some questions, because this was SO ODD to me. She did comform to me that it was leagal to walk around town with it, without a concealed license permit. I asked her why it was OK, and she said in Alaska you need BEAR PROTECTION, so low and behold. We should be with gun when we are by ourselves for this purpose in Alaska. Good thing I'm not afraid to hold or shoot a handgun huh? WATCH OUT PAPA BEAR...LOL. j/k.

5 comments:

Lowe Family said...

I wouldn't think a little handgun would do anything but make a bear more inclined to attack you...like a slap in the face or stepping on it's toes! I would want the biggest sucker they had at that store!

Wilson Clan said...

I'm glad it's you who wants to shoot a gun and not me. LOL Bear Protection huh?! That's funny and scary at the same time. Guess you'll have to start doing bear carcass searches by your house. Maybe I don't want to come and visit. LOL I'm such a chicken. :) Bug thinks it's cool though. He wants to see one when we come :)

Norm and Frances said...

I would share my lunch with the bear so he didn't have me for lunch!!!! Maybe you could give him some of Jakes turkey hot dogs.

Norm and Frances said...

By the way, I believe I left a comment that said I would like to hear it all!!! Cool down turbo!!!

Teresa said...

Good old Alaska! It really is "the last frontier." I love how it is so normal for people to walk around town with guns, I mean "bear protection."