Friday, July 3, 2009
Week 2: Brown Jug Warehouse
The vote is in........
One of the things here in Alaska that is truly different than Utah, would be that they have blue jello and not green :) Just kidding.
When we first drove through Wasilla to our new place at the end of May I noticed that there was a large amount of Liquor stores. There seems to be a liquor store included on the half of most gas stations, stores. The most popular liquor store I've seen here is "Brown Jug Liquor store". You know the kind?!? like from the old western John Wayne movies my dad used to watch, that he probably still watches. Anyways, you know the ones where they're hanging around the fire pit talking, and swigging back from there brown jug, the small loop and the opening at the top that requires a cork to keep the liquor? I'm guessing that's where they got the name....Anyways back to my story. One of the first few mornings that I was driving Jake to work we were driving out of Wasilla and going to Palmer to the hospital, I noticed that there was not only a liquor store, but a BROWN JUG WAREHOUSE. Wow!! These people are truly Alcoholics here, they need 19 stores, and a Warehouse. I've also since heard then, not just the native Eskimos use these monstrous liquor stores, but the Russians that were paid off in 1959, when Alaska actually became one of the 50 states. They are massive drinkers. I once talked to a lady that we bought our desk from, she's catholic, but she said that you could probably count a liquor store for every non-LDS church. That actually accounts for quite a few liquor stores.....so back to the drive early in the morning, I was sitting there thinking, "why do they need a WAREHOUSE?" that is crazy, among all of these other liqour stores they need a warehouse too. AMAZING.......So it got me thinking, that's kind of a clever name for a liqour store, but what about, something like "AL KEY'S Liqour store" Of course I'd have to find someone with the name of Allen to work there :).... So when I found Brown Jug's website, I had to laugh at there home page, 19 locations, and the most comfortable retail environment, read it you'll get a kick out of it. At least they offer bennifits packages to there employees, and they're responsible, cause they have Values. So this is something that I'm sure Utah isn't up on. Tons and tons of liquor stores :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That reminds me of how many bars there were in Puerto Rico. It's wild how liquor can consume your life. I guess that's how people get friends :)
LOL! Well, I like your liqour store's name, very creative! If you're going to start a new buisness selling alcohol, that is the place to do it!
So I've just caught up on your blog and WOW, Ty! That's quite the exciting life you guys are leading :) Grant wants to know: Did you ever get a 'Bear Protection' gun?
Post a Comment