Friday, October 9, 2009

Musk Ox Field Trip

We went to the Musk Ox Farm today for our October Field Trip. These are not related to the buffalo. Even if they look like they might be. They are actually a cousin of the Goat. When we got there we took a picture of all 5 kids, because in 10 years I want the kids to remember who was there :) We watched them explain why they have a hump, and what not....you can click on the link above...I'm not going to teach you what we learned, mostly because we didn't learn much. I know right, what kind of field trip was this? But the kids had a blast and we'll take a day and learn about it so it wasn't all wasted. But the baby that was 11 weeks old licked the kids hands, they thought that was cool...But Theron didn't like it at all, if we even thought about getting close to this hairy beast, he would scream in a terrified freakish way. I thought the baby Musk Ox was cute. We did learn that they were cousins of the Goats. See the eyes.... They are hairy. Check out the website to learn more :) On our way back to the barn, Theron decided they weren't so bad after all. He even pet the baby. After Theron had his turn petting and getting licked, we went inside the museum so the kids could check out all the stuff they saw, but dead. Sorry, I didn't see the point in all this. They got to pet a real life one, I didn't know what was so neat about looking at dead ones that where stuffed. Anyways, it ended up being kind of funny. Theron really didn't like the fur off these huge things. He was back to square one. I tried to get him to pet the furs but he screamed in a panic once again, so we called it quits. The older kids loved this field trip. I found it interesting that they were brought back to Alaska after the 1800's.....from Greenland in 1930's they have populated themselves back up. These are now a drawn hunt in Alaska, I was told that only 4 get shot a year on a draw. These were actually very pretty. This was our field Trip that we were so excited for. So far I think the Salmon Life Cycle was way more interesting. But we do love field trips for sure. :)

4 comments:

Someone else said...

So you took a picture of all 4 kids so that you could remember who was there in 10 years. I wonder, which one of your kids wasn't really there.LOL Those things look like what you would get if you mixed a buffalo with a goat. It may not have been as fun as the samon field trip but I bet it was nice to get out for a while.

Wilson Clan said...

I want to pet one:) They are so cute. The kids didn't look to excited being there. I'm glad they changed their minds after they had been there for a bit. That "baby" was too big to be a baby. LOL And 11 weeks? I'm glad teh kids have fun and are learning more about where they live. Field trips can be fun. :)

haus the boss said...

it was so much fun.... they dresed 1 of the elementry school teachers up like a musk ox theron thought that was pretty funny i had him on my shoulders so he could see and all he did was giggle i tried not to laugh but is was to funny therons face is just 2 cute:-)

Teresa said...

Awwww! What cute musk oxes! Looks like you are having so much fun up there! I'm so jelouse!