Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Orionid Meteor Shower

The summer of 1993 I was in Texas, learning lots of new things. I got my first boyfriend, Chris McCrindle. That summer I had experienced my first tornado, my first Texas lightening storm and my first meteor shower..... Tonight I attempted to relive some memories. Because we're studying the Solar System for Science I woke Kurt up to see if he wanted to see the action. He hopped up so fast. I checked the weather, it was suppose to be clear, but 28 degrees....yeah it was freezing :) I got my cold weather gear on, grabbed a blanket and headed out to the middle of my driveway with Kurtis to watch a meteor shower in windy 28 degree weather. Because this is something that Lacey likes to do too. We got a hold of her too and while she was trying to see the same thing we were seeing over 3,000 miles away, We were seeing a lot more than Lacey was. When Kurt and I first layed on the ground we saw a huge meteor. It was probably one of the biggest I've ever seen and it had a yellow almost orange tail. We watched for 45 minutes and didn't see a lot, but we did see probably 10 or so. When we got back inside, got warm, and checked out the website, I figured out that we might have gone out too early. So Kurt and I tried again around 2am...that was a disaster though. The clouds over-ruled our sky. So what we saw was probably what we were going to get. So tomorrow....I mean today I'm going to be sooo tired. But it was fun, Kurt and I had a chance to do something without interuptions. I'm going to keep track of the meteor calendar now though. I want to get something good....and the Northern Lights will also be coming our way soon too. Sorry, once again no pics...I'll do it before the weekend :)

2 comments:

Norm and Frances said...

I just heard about the meteor shower last night on the news!!! I think I will take a nap today so I can stay up and watch it tonight.

What an interesting world we live in and constantly there are testimonies of our Father in Heaven. How lucky we are.

My neighbor called me a couple of days ago and said there was a rainbow outside. It was amazing. There's just something about rainbows! And,meteor showers!!! What a cool thing to do! I don't think I would prefer the 28 degree weather, but it sure sounds like it was worth it!

Wilson Clan said...

I was so sad that I saw only a few, but it was sooooo much fun being on the phone with you while we were both watching the shower. I can't wait for the next one:) Being up at 2 a.m. to see it with friends, thousands of miles away, doesn't make you seem so far:) Love ya friend