A few weeks before Halloween our ward had a 'Harvest Festival' so we could not only celebrate Halloween, but the fall season. The kids dressed up and we got creative, we didn't spend a dime on costumes this year. I think that over the years Halloween is getting out of hand, we're seeing extravagant costumes that must have cost a fortune. The kids wanted to be this or that, but when it boiled down to it, I didn't want to buy anything. They were told to work with what we had. Austin got very creative, he took an old shirt and chopped it up. The same with some pants that didn't fit, he went out back and literally rolled around in the dirt. Then he begged for me to shave just the top of his head.

He reminded me that he hasn't had his hair cut yet, and that we could just shave it off after the party. Jake was very hesitant, but I gave in. He went looking like a old bum. He won the prize for funniest costume. We had heard all night from so many people about his hair. Some people thought he was wearing a wig, but after feeling his head, they had learned differently. When we first walked in the door, Bishop
Hobrook grinned from ear to ear and had to come and check Austin out. He was impressed with his look alike hair :) Austin had a fun time I think getting everyone to look his way all night long.

Ember figured out that she fit the Sully costume that I bought for Kurtis way before she was even thought of. I didn't take these pictures so I wasn't able to get just a picture of her alone. I have not done so well at holidays here in Alaska. So you can peak at her from afar.

At the party Bridger was the Pillsbury Dough Boy, but he didn't get a picture, because of his slacking mother. On Halloween he decided to be
Tigger. He was a cute
Tigger, my favorite of all time. If anybody remembers my collectors item :)

On Halloween Austin decided to be....a Vampire I think. I darkened his eyes, put blood down his mouth and Kurt gave him some stitches. Maybe he's a Zombie. either way his haircut got finished the day after the party.

Remember our Halloween decorations we were making with the balloon and the home made paste?

This is our end product. The plan was to use it at Trunk or Treat we were going to barge in on, but that didn't happen. Halloween day was around 23 degrees or so outside, with some NASTY wind. We got invited to attend the Palmer ward buildings Trunk or Treat. We were told that it started at 6:30pm. We were also told that it only would last maybe 10 minutes or so. We showed up at 6pm to get the back of our van ready, with our spider and stuff. When we got there it had already begun. So I got Bridger and Jake followed Ember and Austin. Kurt has figured he's to big for this immature stuff,

so he stayed in the car with our sleeping turtle. we got through all of the cars with a good helping of Halloween. 10 minutes in people were leaving. During that 15 minutes I swear I had gotten frost bite on my cheeks, they were red for the rest of the night. I have NEVER been that cold in that short of time in ALL of my life. There is a difference in Utah cold compared to Alaska cold. Even when Utah has gotten to 23 outside, I guarantee it's not the same as here. So in the end I didn't get to use our AWESOME spider. We did have fun making it though. Maybe we can make another one or two next year.

Little man was Squirt off of Finding
Nemo. Like I said before he slept through the candy part, but he's to small to be eating any of it. But he still dressed up.

Kurt decided that he was too mature for this game and didn't dress up at all...as you can see to his side is Ember's arm, she was the red dinosaur for Halloween night. Unfortunately not 10 minutes ago, trying to get the one and only picture of Kurt I saved a picture and overwrote her picture...I'm very irritated about this, but she was cute. Jake dressed up as a Chef you can see him in the back of Bridger's
Tigger picture and I darkened my eyes, put on my mom's red grandma coat, ratted my hair and went as myself.
After Trunk or Treat we went to our friends the
VanAusdals for the night. I made Homemade Cinnamon Rolls. Andrea made sugar cookie dough that the kids used
Halloween cookie cutters on, and hot chocolate. We ended up sharing crazy stories and having a great time. Drove home and HALLOWEEN WAS FINALLY OVER!!! I'm really beginning to hate
Halloween. We didn't even carve a dumb pumpkin. I know, I'm the worst
Scrooge ever. Maybe next year will be better.
5 comments:
Sounds like Halloween was not a total loss!!! It sounds like you had fun! From talking to Jake a while back, I didn't think your ward was going to do anything. I'm glad they did. I wish I could have seen your costume!
Well, the kids looked great, but I get where you're coming from about Halloween. I've felt this way for years but I thought I was the only one. It's a lot of money and run-around without any benefits... no great family bonding or uplifting spiritual meaning. Just junk food and wrappers cluttering the house for weeks.
Okay, I'm done ranting. My family LOVES Halloween, but when my kids are grown I have secret plans take the costume and candy budget and treat myself to a spa day and a night out instead of answering the door every 2 minutes. Aaaahh, I can dream can't I?
Home made costumes are the best! Cookies and hot chocolate would be all i need to have a happy halloween :)
Hey Ty,
Okay since we now have a deal. I must leave you a comment...here goes.
Your turkey is bugging the crap out of me! I can't read the words behind it, and I keep having to move my cursor. I'm not happy about it. But I love you..and miss you.
The kids look great.
How 'bout next year we all go on a Halloween strike, maybe if enough Mom's protest we can have it band from the calendar. Think it will work? Nah, probably not, maybe I'll just continue to steal candy from my kids and enjoy the freakishly weird holiday.
Oh, for the love...this is NOT Ken. Dang I hate it when that happens! oh, well! -Nancy :)
Tyra-Me likey much better! You are a gem.
You put on Christmas music!
I left a note for you on Shelly's blog.
Ha! My verifacation word is...Nationo
Let me use it in a sentence. We live in this great nationo we call Americano! Oh, that was fun, pointless...but fun!
Post a Comment