Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Nursing

As a first time mom at 18, I chose to nurse Kurt, I enjoyed nursing and it was a great bonding experience. When he became 1 years old, I wanted to stop nursing, but I didn't know how. When Kurtis was 15 months old I found out that I was pregnant with Austin and was told I couldn't nurse and be pregnant at the same time. I later found out that I could do both....anyways. I was ready to quit nursing and I was ready to not have toddler hands down my shirt anymore. Kurtis would put his little hand and arm down my cleavage so often I didn't even realize he was doing it. It was TIME. I've had experiences of good nursing and bad....Austin did nurse, but I stopped nursing when he was 4 months old due to a bleeding ulcer I had to take care of. The medication I had to take, I couldn't nurse, but no one told me I could pump and then start nursing again when I was finished...Huge learning experience. When I had EmberLee she was a great nurser. She loved to nurse, and I liked the bonding time I had with my first baby girl. Again it was a great experience. I read books and had learned a lot from the last 2 babies. I weened Ember when she was a year old. Bridger came along in September, and I was very scared of RSV. He REFUSED to nurse. So I pumped for 6 months to get past the RSV season. It was very difficult, but I did it. Even though he didn't want to nurse....When we had Theron, I was up in the air about nursing. 5th baby...I wanted to be able to give the other kids attention, but then decided that they all had a turn, I wanted Theron too also. I was scared to have another Bridger, but I wanted to give it my last shot. I didn't want any regrets. Nursing is much more healthy for babies than formula, and if I was capable, I didn't see why not. It was a rough start, but a successful one. He is our last baby. I've enjoyed nursing and I'm certain he has too. Now that Theron is 15 months old it's time to ween him. More so because he is not only putting his hands down my shirt, but he also tries to pull my shirt down or off. Makes for awesome tithing settlement appointments :) He is very adamant about Nursing. Tonight he wanted to nurse so bad. When I couldn't hold him anymore, and I was sick of him trying to pull off my shirt. I finally put him on the floor, he was flipping his little body all over the place, he resembled a fish out of water. So as I was preparing a bottle. I recorded part of his little fit. Making it extremely hard to want to stop nursing. Notice his little hands flex in the first video. The second video he dropped to the ground and was carrying on there. The last Video is of him after he decided that a bottle would have to do. This has been the hardest baby to ween. He is still nursing through the night. For those of you that are thinking about lecturing me on how to get a baby out of our bed, or to get a baby to sleep through the night I don't care to hear it, so please keep your comments to yourself. I'm already educated that way. I wanted to spoil him, he's my last baby. If I wanted a full nights rest without interruptions I would have him sleeping all night by 15 months...I like interrupted sleep, I love being exhausted :)....Honestly it boils down to he's my last, I'm having my own issues...I do know how to fix them though. So please don't pass judgment on me. Just enjoy the blog and Please feel free to still leave me comments, just not how to parent :)

6 comments:

Candace said...

Ty, I'm in the process of weaning Jared too. We're down to just morning and evening feedings and I know how you feel about nursing issues. It's something I've really had to work at with some babies and others never want to stop. I find that I'm the one who's struggling with ending this now though. I keep thinking is he my last baby? Is this the last time I'll get to snuggle up like this? I think I'm the one having a meltdown (internally of course) about this issue. Ah well, we do what we have to do and believe we'll eventually get through it.

Nancy said...

Ty, I'm keeping my end of our deal and leaving a moment, but I'm SCARED! I had all this parenting advice I was going to give you and now I can't. Darn it!

Oh, I am just kidding. I think you are a great mama. I am actually jealous that you and Candace are still nursing. Daric and I only lasted 8 months, and I miss that chance to snuggle with him.

Good Luck! :)

Someone else said...

I think it's great that you breast feed for as long as you can. He is your child and if you want to spoil him then go ahead. I plan to spoil mine. Seeing how truly upset he is it would be really hard for me too. He is so sweet.

TMI warning: skip if you want to. I wanted to breast feed so badly. I didn't do well with the first 3 at all so I was determined to feed Megan until she could say "I'm done momma." It wasn't going well at all because of low milk and my heart was broken because I had to supplement. I was constantly told that every woman is able to no matter what so I must be doing something wrong. Finally I learned that because of a birth defect in my milk producers I would never produce enough milk to sustain a baby, only to suplement one. Once I learned that everything made sence and I was able to just relax and at least enjoy what little feeding I could give my baby. It lasted for 7 months before I finally ran out of milk. I was so angry at all those people who insisted that I was wrong and took away months of enjoyment with my child making me feel like a failure.

You do what you want when you want and never let anyone tell you otherwise. You are a great mom and they are your kids so I think it's great that you are telling the nay-sayers to shut up. Great post.

Unknown said...

Poor baby and poor mom to have to watch him have that fit. Bet it broke your heart...but,I have to tell you, that first video was funny:) The covering of the face and the hand movements...did he have a voice after that one? lol That was such a Bridgy fit. lol I know it's hard on you, but it will get better. Good luck. Love ya

Teresa said...

I'm impressed! Good job Ty. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you. When I weaned Carla she didn't care, I was the one having a hard time. It would be easy for me to give in to fits like Theron's. But I do have to admit that is counts for GREAT videos! I love it! You are sorely missed my friend. I love you!!

r said...

I totally agree with Someone Else. Do what you feel is best for your child. It's no one's business how much/little you breastfeed. I dried up at 3 months with both girls, but I was OK with that because I didn't really enjoy it. To each her own, right?