Sunday, January 24, 2010

Alaska's Wildlife

Some of the wildlife here in Alaska is also in Utah, just not as cool :) Moose are all over the place. If I have the car I see moose at least once that day. It's very cool to be able to see bald eagles in our back yard. Just in a tree chill'n. I'm so glad we're able to be in a place that can put my 13 year old at risk of killing himself at an early age. With the moose in our back yard, Kurtis will go out with the camcorder and get about 5 yards away. Mind you this will be with a Momma and her 2 babies. This kid is begging for an early death. I have told him not to get that close. When he goes out anyways being 10 feet tall and bullet proof, I've told him..."You can do what you want, but when the moose is trampling you and your seeing your life flash before your eyes all 13 years of it, 1st make sure your getting a great shot with the camcorder. I want to be able to sell the video of my 10ft tall and bullet proof son being STUPID. 2nd, I hope the last thing on your mind as your being trampled, is that you have disappointed your mother to the fullest. I hope you will think of me and how I will never get over my love for you Kurtis" Of course this has not stopped him. So no one be too surprised when my 13 year is dead before he's 14 :) In the mean time, he's capturing cool pictures of Bald Eagles, and I'm sure over time we'll have great shots of moose and who knows maybe a bear :)

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Great shot!

Anonymous said...

We had some moose (probably the same ones!) right out front this morning. It's a good thing we have a garage now, or we wouldn't have been able to leave the house.

That would be a legitimate excuse though, right? I can just imagine the conversation. "Good morning, this is Riley's mom. I just wanted to let you know that Riley won't be attending school today because if I let him leave the house, a moose is gonna take him down. Thanks so much."

Wilson Clan said...

Wicked cool!!! thet bald eagle looks HUGE!! That is an awesome pic. What an awesome opportunity to see one.

Denise & Cody said...

Great photo! My husband used to live in Alaska when he was a kid and he did get trampled by a moose once on his way to school. He said it happened to him because some dogs chased it towards him and the snow bank was too high for the moose to get off the road so it just trampled him trying to get away from the dogs. I always thought it was a freak accident, but maybe this is a real problem for all kids in Alaska. Scary!

Someone else said...

We may have the same wildlife here in Utah but I've never actually seen anything but split seconds of deer and elk while driving on the freeway. You get to see the wildlife up close and personal on a regular basis. Aside from the danger factor I am way jealous.