Today is Marmot Day....I'm sure some of you are doing the same thing I am, asking...."What the hell is a marmot?" Apparently for those Alaskans that have to be like the lower 48, acceptance is very important. They've given us a "groundhog day". Here in AK we don't have groundhogs...Sarah Palin wanted us to have a special day to tell us when winter is over...funny thing is, marmots don't give us any inkling of any type of weather that is coming. Even if it did, the winter isn't over for quite a while. So having this day on the same day as ground hog day only tells me that it's so we can be included in the lower 48. I laugh because some Alaskans think that we aren't part of the US....apparently because we are so far from the "US" some people, like Sarah crave the connection. But then again, there are some idiots down in the lower 48 that don't include Alaska as part of the US, I know this because when I buy something online people don't ship to Alaska or Hawaii or the rest of the World...I don't know, maybe it's just me thinking out loud. I do think it's a pathetic holiday. I think that the closest thing that Alaska has to predicting weather is the fireweed. It's said that you can count the weeks left in the summer till the first snowfall...we did that this year and it was pretty stink'n close. Then when the first snow fall comes it's called "termination dust" but it's on tops of the mountains.. I laugh that on Feb 2nd it's now MARMOT day in Alaska. At least we're here the first year of Marmot day for Alaska. I knew we were here for something special :)
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
What the *@& is a Marmot?
Today is Marmot Day....I'm sure some of you are doing the same thing I am, asking...."What the hell is a marmot?" Apparently for those Alaskans that have to be like the lower 48, acceptance is very important. They've given us a "groundhog day". Here in AK we don't have groundhogs...Sarah Palin wanted us to have a special day to tell us when winter is over...funny thing is, marmots don't give us any inkling of any type of weather that is coming. Even if it did, the winter isn't over for quite a while. So having this day on the same day as ground hog day only tells me that it's so we can be included in the lower 48. I laugh because some Alaskans think that we aren't part of the US....apparently because we are so far from the "US" some people, like Sarah crave the connection. But then again, there are some idiots down in the lower 48 that don't include Alaska as part of the US, I know this because when I buy something online people don't ship to Alaska or Hawaii or the rest of the World...I don't know, maybe it's just me thinking out loud. I do think it's a pathetic holiday. I think that the closest thing that Alaska has to predicting weather is the fireweed. It's said that you can count the weeks left in the summer till the first snowfall...we did that this year and it was pretty stink'n close. Then when the first snow fall comes it's called "termination dust" but it's on tops of the mountains.. I laugh that on Feb 2nd it's now MARMOT day in Alaska. At least we're here the first year of Marmot day for Alaska. I knew we were here for something special :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Marmot Day. What will she think of next? So, did the Marmot see its shadow, or what does the Marmot do?
So I guess I should "Happy Marmot Day"? LOL That is dang funny. What will they think of next? It's such an ugly critter too. LOL
Okay, I have to say the Marmots in pimp gear and pasties kinda freaks me out, so this comment has nothing to do with them... BUT you've been on my mind (in my prayers) and I'm hoping you'll post another blog about how your surgery went and if you're recovering all right.
I keep wishing I were nearby to bring a meal or help with kids. I truly pray that you're doing well and that this surgery will help you in lots of ways. PLEASE let us know how you're doing.
Post a Comment