Saturday, April 24, 2010

Federal Mandated Testing

The week after Easter we had mandatory Federal Testing. For homeschooling we had to take the boys to the fair grounds which was about 20 minutes away. The night before I had them go onto skills Alaska (which is a website available to us that has questions that are extremely close to what the questions are on the tests) This helped them review the things that they were going to see. Tuesday was Reading, Wedsday was Writing, Thursday was Math (that Kurt didn't do) and Friday was science for Kurtis. I learned more about this test and the things that don't seem right. Because Kurt has a math disability he has certain things that he's aloud that other students aren't, like: calculators, and extra descriptions of the questions to help him understand better what it is asking him, or to have the questions ready to him rather than him reading them him self. They couldn't accommodate him on Wednesday so Kurt got a day off. I did however find out that even if the kids aren't up to par or at their grade level in a subject they are still graded at the grade level that is equal to their age. They apply these horrible scores to the federal testing. So when you here the averages, now you will know that this is not a fair score, they're putting the children with disabilities in that same category that is dragging those scores down. In turn making your child with the disability feel stupid, because he doesn't comprehend the level of math they're grading him at. I found it very frustrating to know that this was manditory and I couldn't help Kurtis any better. Kurtis later had to test on his birthday, that he wasn't happy about. While the kids were testing, Candy and I made our way to Thrift stores, and the library parking lot to steal free internet :) Which later we found out that on Friday (our last day) the fair grounds had much better reception for wireless internet than what the Library had, and we were driving to the library. I wish we would have figured this out before hand. We will get the test results back in June. Which I'm excited to get. This will do nothing for our qualifications for IDEA, but it will show me where my kids are academically. They both did very well, I say that because each of them finished the tests that they were given and they both had given it their all. I'm so proud of them. EmberLee on the other hand doesn't have to do this until she's in 3rd grade. So she was off the hook. One of the days that the boys were riding in the back seat they were getting themselves into trouble. If I remember right it was Wednesday. The same day that Kurt didn't have testing. He was testing his grounds with me all day that day. He tested fate and he won this time. I was so upset when I found out what he was doing. I wanted to strangle him for being so stupid. This is my Pyro Child. Notice how close he is to the back seat of the seat in front of him. We drove in Candy's car not mine. I can't believe he was willing to put us all in danger driving down the road. To make matters worse, he was right above the gas tank.....man I wonder sometimes if he thinks.....I say that, because both the boys were stupid enough to record it. Should I submit this to "stupidest crimals caught on tape"??? Then Kurt had the nerve to say that he didn't know what I was talking about....when I reminded him that he left me proof, he knew he was busted. SILLY KID.

3 comments:

Virginia said...

I'm glad the testing is over for the boys and glad they did their best. That is scary that Kurt likes fire so much. I'm grateful no one was hurt. Ironic that the fairgrounds had better internet than the library. LOL.

Tara said...

Good luck on the scores for the testing. I homeschooled for two years while we were in WA, and the days that the kids did their state testing were pretty stressful for me! It was a reflection of me as much as of them. But, the girls always did awesome, and I'm sure your boys will too! There are so many wonderful aspects oF homeschooling. It's a special time.

Someone else said...

Glad the testing is over. That sucks that they had to go for so many days and they couldn't have it all on the same day. I'm sure the boys did great. I can't wait to see Liz's results too.