Thursday, June 10, 2010

WARD SOCK HOP

It was that time again. We as the Ward activities committee had another ward party to plan. This time it was Erin's turn. We have to have a purpose for our parties. This time we collected socks to donate to a woman's shelter. Erin made a Juke box that you inserted your socks when you came in. Then we had someone come and give instruction on how to dance, which I was able to make Jake dance. We had a lot of fun. I found Old school records to decorate with, and we did root beer floats and finger food treats....Look Grandma, I found Roger Whitaker :). We used black, pink, red, blue and white to make it more 50 - 60's colors. had my kids dress up the best they could. Jake and the older boys popped their collars, and I made Ember a dress that was from a vintage 1962 pattern. I had Erin's help of course, and she whipped out the petticoat to go underneath. We used a white sheet and netting :). Erin made her and her girls dresses too. This is what we did for the month of March and part of April. For our party we had some dancing. I even caught our Bishop dancing with some of the little girls. Candy and her kids were there. Candy made her and Sammy's dresses. They used the same pattern as me. My Dress was the one I made, with Erin's help. I like to say that I did it mostly without Erin's help. I would never wear it again though, because most patterns measure more for boobs, which I have NONE. Even after measuring it seemed way to big on top. OH WELL. I tried making comedy out of a record that fell off the wall. Erin had fun with it. Candy also made our Sister missionaries poodle skirts. On my right is Sister Booth (the sick sister), and the taller sister is Sister Dalton (she was homeschooled her hole life, and she turned out normal...) We also did the Limbo. We had kids join in, along with adults Including our Bishop, what a sport. We had the Hula Hoop. Ember can spin a mean hula. So cute watching her go. She ended up spending her birthday money from her grandparents, on one of her own. It didn't last too long though, especially when she has Bridger as a little brother. We had Austin's friend Bob Henry, hula with his neck and he worked it down to his waste. We also had a bubble gum blowing contest too. In the end during our clean up the kids where playing with my "chrome" Kurt decided that being a unicorn WAS COOL. Theron didn't dress up, but he sure had fun. Our next party is in June, we're doing a Bar B Q. In July we're combining with the Relief Society and doing a preparedness fair. In October we're doing a Harvest Party, and our usual Christmas time party. Wish us luck, it's hard work getting a party together and having it a success. We didn't have a lot turn up at this party, but is sure was fun.

3 comments:

Virginia said...

It looks like it was SO much fun! What great activities your ward has. Sounds like a blast.

Lowe Family said...

How Fun!! It looks like you love your ward. That is so great!

Norm and Frances said...

I don't know why people didn't show up, it looks like you all had a blast! That was a good idea for a party. 'Course, you know I love the 60's! Roger Whitaker rocks!

You did a great job on the dresses. I hope you enjoy sewing as much as I do. It is getting kind of expensive to sew anymore, but it love to do it so that justifys the expense, I guess.

Love you all tons!