Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fishing SUCCESS

Jake was invited to go fishing Saturday morning bright and early. I wanted to go, but had already volunteered to babysit for a friend. Jake and the boys left around 5:30am, after being gone all morning long, Jake called around 10 am or so and told me that they didn't get anything.... again. He also said that all the tackle that he had, was gone too. He said the fish were fighters, and had broke line after line. I was so devastated, I can't even describe how devastated I was. I was in the back room when they got home. Feeling sorry, that I couldn't go and try to do better. I love to fish. I could hear the little kids screaming that the cooler was full. When I saw Jake, I could see on his face that they did catch something. So when I walked into the living room and the kids were hovering over the opened cooler, I peeked over their heads and saw a FULL cooler. They caught their limit 3 each and Perry (Jake's friend) gave us his fish too. So we had 12 Pink Salmon in all. Here in Alaska Pink's aren't the best fish to save, but due to the lack of catching we've had all summer (learning the ropes of fishing Alaskan Salmon) Jake knew better than to come home empty handed, so Pink's were better than nothing at all. The males are so weird looking, once they hit fresh water, they produce a hormone that causes them to form a hump and a hooked nose. It was so cool to have them all. We decided to keep a few fillet's out to eat, a couple packages in the freezer and 4 bottles of canned salmon, and Jake is smoking a few of the fillet's. We're hoping to go Monday also, I just hope the fishing is as good as it was Saturday morning :)

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Those are funky looking fish, but I bet they taste great. Yummy! That would be so fun to go fishing in Alaska.

Norm and Frances said...

Those are some ugly dudes!!! It is so good that you like fish. You know me, I don't. I'm glad you got some. I suppose Jakes phone call was just Jake being Jake, huh? When you have lived there longer, you get a bigger limit, don't you?

Anonymous said...

They are weird looking, aren't they?

We have a freezer full of fish this year, too. It makes me feel like a "real" Alaskan.