Monday, September 27, 2010
The butterflies
One of EmberLee's science projects this year has been to hatch butterflies. We had fun as a family watching each stage. We got the caterpillars in these
2 jars on the 12th of August in the mail. It said to open immediately. Which of course we did. It said that it would take about 10 days before they would be hanging from the top of the container.
When they were all hanging (aug 24), I was suppose to open the lid and pin the paper covering to the inside of the net house.
I thought both containers were done, but then I lifted the one out and a caterpillar wasn't changed yet, I was nervous to know what would happen. But I decided to go ahead and hang it anyways, by the morning it looked the same as all the others. All together we had 10 catepillars to wait for. I put the net high so the kids wouldn't mess with it. This was a very crucial point of their life.
On the first of September the kids woke up to find that a butterfly had hatched.
I read online when they hatch it's usually in the morning time. So that was the first one that hatched and we didn't have any others that day. The next morning we had the privilege of catching one of them. It happened so quickly that I missed the beginning. I did some of it though. Unfortunately I wasn't able to download the short video clip. I don't know it won't work, but it won't. The red that is on the netting is not blood. It's the extra color that comes off their wings and drips down. When they're done stretching their wings the fluid will be clear. They like to hang and let their wings gain strength. With the gravity they fall open slowly. They flap their wings for exercise to get them stronger so they can take flight. They eat fruit and sugar water after they hatch, to help them gain the strength. The morning after that more hatched. 2 did not hatch out of the 10. But the one that wasn't quite ready hatched the 2nd day. It was so neat to see these go through each stage in their lives. I will be posting the pictures of the kids letting them go. It was so fun to watch the kids with them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That must have been so fun. I think we are definately going to do that too. Sorry about the video, that would have been cool to see.
Gosh, that sounds neat to watch. What a great project. What kind of butterflies were they? How cool!!!
That is so cool! The girls would LOVE watching butterflies grow :)
Post a Comment