Saturday, January 1, 2011

The things that we say

The things that we say, and do make all the difference in the world.
We can say that we will do something, like pick someone’s kids up and give them a break. We feel like it’s something that we’re able to do. But then something major happens, like we end up falling asleep because we’re so over exhausted from volunteering and dealing with our own things in our own lives that we slept through all of the things we SAID we were going to do. Another one is saying that we’re going to get the laundry done, or drop off the dry cleaning, but we end up just doing NOTHING All day long. Now there isn’t a suit to wear on Sunday, or clean underwear or towels when we’re standing their naked after a desperately needed shower. Another thing we say we’re going to do is have a schedule ready for our home when school starts. You know the one that’s completely required for a homeschooling family to work out. Mom ends up with at least an hour of personal study time. But here we are in December with NO Schedule. We’ve been running on randomness since August. Now let’s go back and re evaluate if we were to do some of these things, instead of just say we were going to do them. Let’s say we DID go over to our friend that was in need of that break, in desperate need of our help and we SACRIFICED a hole 2 hours of hanging out with a few cute kids that are just priceless. She would have gotten the nap she needed, or the running around that seems impossible with toddlers. She would have felt totally relieved to have had some free time of her own for a change. She might have felt refreshed with new energy. Again let’s say we DID drop off the dry cleaning and we actually DID the laundry like we said we were going to do. Sunday would have been much less stressful. My husband wouldn’t have to go to church in his OLD Sunday clothes, he would have felt more confident in his nice suit that makes him feel like hundred bucks. He would have been in a better mood, because he wouldn’t have had to put on a grungy pair of Sunday pants, that didn’t fit the best. I would have had some underwear to put on after my shower, and I wouldn’t have had to use a blanket for a towel. I wouldn’t have the stacks of laundry EVERYWHERE. I would be less uptight and in a better mood, because I wouldn’t be so overwhelmed with laundry. And for the last Let’s say……LET’S SAY that I DID make a schedule for the year like I said I was going to do, lets say it was in place before we started our homeschooling year. We would have disciplined children that would know EXACTLY what was expected of them. They would have samples prepared for me on time, they would have a clean house from doing chores all the time and a happier mom, because she would have gotten that hour daily for her own personal study time. So the moral of this randomness is to DO NOT JUST SAY!!! Let’s just say that we are GOING TO make a few changes this year, for the year 2011 I am going to DO more than just SAY.  

2 comments:

Virginia said...

You inspire me! I want to really DO the things I resolve to do on New Year's Day. I AM going to accomplish my goals! Thanks for your blog!

Norm and Frances said...

In answer to what "we" did, or didn't do, "we" do not beat ourselves up. "We" learn, and go on and do better next time. We" think about the fact that even if it seems like things are really poopy, there is a second chance to do things right, and that "we" are loved, even if it doesn't seem like it. "We" know that we love our friends and family and that, hopefully, in spite of "our" boo-boo's, "we" are good people and others just may understand what "we" are feeling.

As far as changes for the new year, hopefully we think seriously about what we are committing ourselves to, and make sure it is something that is actually possible, and not overwhelming. "We" need to be able to accomplish what we have decided to change, so that we will not feel worse than we did before.