I think this will be a new tradition in our home. She was born to this earth, she had a great life, I feel that she is worth celebrating over. I LOVE YOU MOMMA, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMA March 14th
About a year ago we were having a discussion with our Bishop from Wasilla Ward about celebrating a birthday of their son that they lost 13 years ago. His family lost their adopted son when he was 13 years old in a tragic accident. This was just a week before his wife had their 1st born son. He said that after he was gone the kids asked why they didn’t celebrate his birthday anymore, he said that it was then that they realized that the birth still occurred, it was still a joyous time to celebrate. It was important for them to celebrate the birth of their 1st son. Their kids needed to celebrate not wallow. Last year I decided that this was something that could change my life. Every time my mom’s birthday comes, or mother’s day, or big holidays, I have a hard time knowing she’s not here physically. So to switch things up a bit was what I needed. Last year was one of the harder years for me. My depression was at a all time low. I was away from home, family, what I knew as life. I was trying to make life in a dark place I didn’t understand well. On top of all that I was trying to cope with the normal loss of my mom that I deal with every year. So This year as her Birthday approached I decided I needed to make this year better than any other. I was going to make it good. So yesterday I planned a small Birthday party to celebrate my mom’s birth.
I got a yellow cake….yellow, because that is her favorite color. She used to say that when she was rich she was going to buy a little yellow sports car. I couldn’t get her a sports car but I could get a cake. The kids blew out the candles, it was kind of fun watching them have so much fun on a cake that wasn't theirs.
She loved mint chocolate chip ice cream so I had to do that too. What’s cake without ice-cream?
We got the movie Megamind and had a Birthday celebration/FHE.
By the end of the night I wasn’t depressed and sad like I would normally be. 
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ty, I loved this post. My sister-in-law lost her mother a couple of months ago and I want to pass this along to her. Thanks!
I think it's a GREAT idea, I'm going to have to find a way to celebrate too :) Love you sister!
Ty! That is incredible! What a great idea, why doesn't everyone do that? We always go to my brothers grave on the anniversary of his death which makes everyone sad, why haven't we been celebrating his birthday instead(or also)? What a great way to remember your mom. We miss you guys and I posted a couple pics just for you :)
I love this, Ty! What a wonderful way to deal with a loss. Thanks for sharing :)
Post a Comment