This topic has me in tears every time I talk out loud about it. So I am sorry that I haven't blogged much. But this post is going to catch everyone up to speed.
For the last few months we have been putting in applications to different long term facilities. We have been researching each one that we apply to. We have been on our knees about how we will deal with him at one of these. Kurt won't be coming home for quite awhile. One of the facilities that we had applied to in the beginning was in Palmer, which is the city next to Wasilla. They approved him, but the beds were full until the end of June. At least that was their schedule. So we applied for 3 more facilities. One being in Ketchacan, one in Juneau, and one in Fairbanks. We weren't to thrilled about the distance, but researching each of these we learned that Juneau was the best facility in the state. We also learned that the facility in Fairbanks would give him some fun opportunities. One place declined him because their facility wasn't equipped with what he needed. So then we turned in another form with all the facilities that we didn't like. We had to put in these applications to be able to apply for out of state facilities. We were hoping to apply for a facility in Salt Lake. We felt that if he was going to be out of state at least if he was closer to home, and our families could visit him and he would be able to feel that he had people that care close to him. The facilities further away would be difficult for our family to go to see him. Even though insurance would pay for us to fly to wherever he would be. It would be 6 months between visits. So Utah would be an important place for him to be.
Monday I got a call back from Heather, Kurtis' councilor. The facility in Palmer was back in play. A bed opened up. He was in.
KURT GOT APPROVED, AND WAS MOVING ON.
We were asked not to say anything until we new the exact date.
I went to girls camp Monday, and Heather called back to confirm that he was truly in. So we will be checking Kurt out of North Star, Monday the 13th. The day I found out I got the chance to talk to him. When that happened I was under the assumption that Jake wasn't going to make it to see him. So I told Kurt over the phone. He was SO EXCITED!!
He will be much closer to us, and he will be able to earn visits home, and he will get the therapy that he so desperate needs. He will be doing much better after the move.
This is what is going on with Kurtis now.
2 comments:
Thank you for that update! He is in our prayers every night! I'm so sorry I am really bad at calling. I love you guys!!!
What wonderful news! I am so grateful that he was able to get into the facility in Palmer. Earned visits home etc, might be a real incentive for him. I am so glad he won't be so far away from you.
I second what Christy said, in that we pray for you all every night and have been keeping your names in the temple. Our thoughts and prayers are with you always, all of you.
Please, please, please keep us informed about when we can write, send stuff and maybe be able to call him. I know all of that will probably come later, but we are all waiting to let him know that we love him and are with him in his efforts to deal with his situation.
Are you going to be able to spend time with him in between facilities, like we were talking about before? Can we call then????
Post a Comment