Friday, July 29, 2011

5 Miles....not 5k

 So rumor is that when you register to do a run of any kind, you should train. Get in shape and be ready for the up coming event. What if you don't?

In May a few of the girls from work had done a run and they had a lot of fun, I didn't go. I decided that I could another time. The Alaska Run for Women was June 11th, I was told that I was going with the girls that time, to do the 5 miler. For some reason in my head I heard 5k. I figured that this wasn't going to be a problem. I didn't have time to train for a 5k. I had Girls Camp to focus on. So training didn't happen and wasn't on my to do list either. Camp just ended the night before. My feet were blistered from crappy hiking boots, and I was exhausted from camping all week long. So I went ahead before hand, without thinking, paid $20 to register. I knew I wasn't trained to do anything in this 5 Miler, but was going to do it anyways, it could be that hard. Camp ended and I went home and slept, and early that next morning Brandi picked me up, and with Katie (my Barenaked Lady concert buddy) we met Cheryl and Cheryl's daughter at the hospital and we took off to anchorage from there. I was way nervous especially after figuring out that we were wearing pink shirts with tutu's. On our shirts it said, Mat-su wears tu-tus for ta-ta's. For some of you that may not know, I DON'T DO PINK! I figured it was for a great cause. So I did it. Still nervous. What if someone saw me in pink? Couldn't I just sit on the bleachers and cheer on the other girls? But then I decided to choke it up, and do it. It will only take an hour or so. I registered for a timed run. Only because the other girls were timed. When we got there we walked by the bathrooms. I thought it was cool that people decorated them. The money that they paid for a potty to decorate, went to the Breast Cancer studies and treatment for Alaska women.

one of the nurses at the hospital, was being very aware of Breast Cancer.

This was at the beginning of the race.
 At the beginning of the race I felt like I couldn't even walk, because of the crowd. So I decided that I would jog, and dodge the crowds of people, it was better than giving people a flat tire right? So off I went, leaving my girls behind. My music in my ear, and my thoughts warming up. The crowd ran out of the stadium and onto the Anchorage streets. We ended up on the coastal trail. Which was an awesome view. Before then Brandi caught up with me, and I had collected a drink of much needed water on the side lines. I had ran quite a ways. I was impressed with my self. Brandi was pulling me along and I was wearing down quick. I decided that I needed to change my music. I switched it to 'Hilary Weeks Radio' on Pandora. I then was able to focus on what was going on in our family. What I was struggling with, things I needed to think about, but seemed way to busy to do. My thoughts flooded my brain as I ran. At some point in this run I felt that I was suffocating. I couldn't breath. This is one of the major reasons why I don't run. Brandi had me use her inhaler and I swear I grew another lung. I could breath, it was amazing. As I took a break from running, I was feeling extremely overwhelmed with my thoughts. I was learning really quick that this run was something I needed to do. I was applying my surroundings with my life. I was on a path and so was everyone else. Going at our own pace making our own decisions, dealing with our own trials. Some finishing before others. I was very emotional. At this point when I was so consumed with my thoughts, I was near the end of my 5 mile run, not my 5k. I realized how close I had to have been. I wasn't really hurting, but I was so tired. I was at peace with my thoughts and I had a view that would confirm it.

This picture doesn't do it justice, but if you could imagine it much better than this.















We finally finished. My time was 1 hour 16 minutes. I would say that I jogged 2/3 of it. I don't think that I did too bad considering I didn't train and haven't been to the gym in a little while.









Us Girls went to a pizza place before heading home.


I had a huge reality check this day. One that made me realize that I needed to stop and re evaluate where I'm at in my life. What needs to be our focus. What I need to work on. What I need to remember. I had lost all this being too busy in my life. I forgot that got knows me, I forgot that I'm not alone, I forgot that friends are very  important. I also learned how much I need friends around me. I'm so grateful that I have some close friends here. I've lost some leaving Utah, but I've gained some that I would never have met if I didn't come. How grateful I truly am for everything in my life. I'm truly grateful for my knowledge of the Gospel. I'm truly grateful to know where my mom is and to know that I'll see her again. I'm struggling trying to adjust my own things, but I'm figuring out ways to cope. Running may be something I do more often....After I get my own inhaler. Luckily for me, not training worked in my favor. BUT I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT!     

3 comments:

Virginia said...

Great post! You look good in pink. HA! Thanks for sharing your feelings and experience during running. It really does give you time to think. You are an amazing lady and friend! Congratulations on the 5 mile run.

Lisa said...

1-running is AWESOME!
2-running with friends is absolutely priceless!
Congrats on your run!

r said...

You did awesome, Ty! Be very proud of yourself. Running is so therapeutic for me. It's my alone time :) Seriously, good job.