Our Theme was Camp Oz, Onward to Zion. It was obviously based from Wizard of Oz. It was fun having a theme daily. Each ward in the Stake chose a character to base their ward from. We chose the Tin Man. We had a cheer and flag, and we even had a mascot.
As camp director I had a lot to do over the last 6 months. Luckily because it was Stake camp this year I didn't have to do more....I am not going to type all that much, but just wanted to say that camp was a rough one. It was a lot of work, and I would say the only reason I enjoyed it was for the girls....I loved getting to know them. I loved being crazy with them. I have lots of memories of Girls Camp. I'm just glad I got to be part of Girls Camp in Alaska.
 |
| one of the days each ward was assigned to a project. Our ward did a Scavenger Hunt using a compass...Matanuska ward made survival bracelets. It was fun making these. |
 |
| Each ward got some string, sticks and clothes to build a scarecrow with. Each ward had to earn "awfully nice of you bucks" Any time one of the girls was caught helping or serving, or doing anything 'awfully nice' they got a straw buck, to turn in for straw to fill their scarecrows. One night the girls donated a few of their bucks to another ward. It was awesome watching them serve one another. Our scarecrow made it to the Hales Garden after camp. |
 |
| Each ward got cabins and the YCL's got a CITY :) |
 |
| Thursday night was testimony night, the girls went on a spiritual hike. On the way there it was neat. We left the amphitheater with hymns being sung as we walked away, the spirit was strong and it was a hike that was unforgettable. |
 |
| on their journey they would come upon the YCL's dressed up, with a message about things that would help strengthen them. |
 |
| on the way back the girls were so uplifted that some of them were crying. The hymns were still being sung so it was a very overwhelming feeling. After they got back, they were dismissed to their ward cabins. When they got there we had letters for them from their parents, and from us leaders. They went off by themselves. I had never experienced these as a Young Women, so for me, it was interesting to see how things were different here in Alaska at Girls Camp. |
 |
| the girls singing hymns while they waited to go on the spiritual hike. |
 |
| before the girls were dismissed they YCL's sang a song that they had practiced. I don't remember the song title, but it was awesome. |
 |
| at the flag pole every morning we would meet and sing crazy songs. Do flag ceremony and do our ward cheers |
 |
| there isn't camp songs without actions. Some of the girls got into it. I loved watching them. |
 |
| there was competitions between ward cabins. They would song as loud as they could, then the other ward would sing back. |
 |
| The girls everyday had time to play in the lake. |
 |
| In our ward we had the Gilson Sisters. Krista (on the left in the sunglasses) that would take care of Bridgette. All through out camp they were an inspiration to all of us. Krista never complained and would always be right there for her sister. What an inspiration we had. So awesome watching them. |
 |
| Knik Fairview, Tin Man. |
 |
| washing hair in the Lake |
 |
| taking Pics |
 |
| we won the on time flag...Sister Lyman isn't one to be late :) |
 |
| when they got to the end of the scavenger hunt they found Popsicles. |
 |
| we had fun playing with hair. |
 |
| awesome Mosquito bites |
 |
| awesome butterfly's |
 |
| awesome YCL's |
 |
| Awesome Stake Leaders |
 |
Awesome President Channer Dancing
|
2 comments:
that makes me miss girls camp!! Looks like fun!!
It looks like you had a FANTASTIC girls camp and that everyone had a lot of fun, along with spiritual experiences. It is neat you were there and I know the girls had a better, terrific time because you were there.
Post a Comment