Thursday, June 19, 2008

Eye's and an Arm

So for a history of yesterday, Saturday morning we took Bridger in for Pink Eye. We spent $50 after insurance for a tiny little bottle of eye drops(Vigamox). EmberLee played hide and seek with it Sunday, we found it then Monday morning I was able to give him his morning dose and I swore I put it up (being the hide and seek game she had before) when I went to get it for Monday night it was gone. I figured it would show up and I put Bridger down without his 2nd dose for the day. Tuesday I searched in the morning and still couldn't find it. After Bridger's nap his eye was swollen terribly, so when Jake got home shortly after Bridger's 3 1/2 hour nap, I ran to Rite Aid and got some Pink Eye Relief (Similasan) over the counter and we gave him some of that in both eyes. During my break for work I came out of the bedroom to see both Bridger's eyes very swollen. Jake gave him another dose of the over the counter stuff. When I logged off from working and came out, both Bridger's eyes were swollen shut, not because of goopy eye either, they were just swollen. I ran to Rite Aid again and explained our issue. Insurance wouldn't pick it up because I just got some Saturday. So for another $63 more I was able to get another bottle, the lady gave me an employee discount. Thank goodness for that. When I got back, we soaked his little eyes with a cold rag for about 15 minutes or so, I was able to get his eye's open just barely enough for these drops. Weds Morning Bridger woke up looking like this. Not bad compared to the night before. But I was concerned with the swelling so I called the Dr. they said get him in there. I wanted to have our Dr not his PA, so I made the appointment for 2pm. So with that history you can see just a little more of how stressed I was when EmberLee came home at 1130am from our neighbors holding her arm screaming. I new after looking at her arm and that it was swollen and starting to bruise that she had to have broken it. Instantly I started contracting. So I called the Dr's office for EmberLee this time. I told them what happened and asked if I needed to go to take her to the ER or just come in to the office. I carried EmberLee to the car as she was screaming in pain from me moving her arm. As we were driving I could feel each contraction, I couldn't time them of course because I was driving and more concerned with her than me. We drove down there as I got the story of what happened....
EmberLee was at our neighbors in her PJ's and the kids were all out on the swing-set, and she saw the other kids playing on the monkey bars and wanted to try it. As she got up there she realized the bars were too far apart and she couldn't reach, so she just dropped and landed on her arm.
We took her to X-ray and came back up. She did break her arm, a sub-condile fracture of the radius bone, with a minor displacement. If that didn't make sense let me explain :) I probably didn't say much of that right, sub(lower part) of the condile (the part of the upper arm bone that meets in for the joint for the lower part of the arm) and she moved the break a little bit.
As for Bridger and his eye, he's alergic to the over the counter stuff. So we gave him a few doses of Benydryl and he's coming around :) And he isn't contagious still. LOL

We got Ember's arm splinted. Got a hold of Dr. Bacon's office, who would do the surgery if required, which we wouldn't find out till Thursday morning. She couldn't eat after midnight in case she needed surgery for pinning or resetting. We got her home and gave her some ibuprofen. After everything she calmed down she fell asleep. eventually my contractions calmed down too.

Yesterday was full of lot of drama :)

We found out this morning from Dr. Bacon (Jake works with him), that the X-Rays look great, she has a clean break, she doesn't need any pinning or resetting. And where she broke it, it should heal quickly hopefully in about 3 weeks. So we'll go in on Tuesday for more X-Rays and either a cast or another splint. Depending on how it looks.

2 comments:

Virginia said...

Wow! What a crazy few days! I am glad that Ember doesn't need surgery and that Bridger's eyes are getting better. Also SO glad your contractions stopped.

I LOVE your blog and love knowing what is going on.

Amber and Greg said...

Why didn't you call! I would have driven like a mad wokman to come and help out. I am glad that all turned out ok. Man, it always seems if it's not one thing, something else will surly come in it's place. Good luck on the rest of it. We love you guys.