Friday, September 12, 2008

Our 1 Week Old little man

So we've hit our one week mark with our little guy Theron. We've had a long and exhausting week thus far. Jake had Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off and so his first day back to work was Thursday.Sunday night we came home from the hospital and we had a little episode that scared both Jake and I. Theron was still learning how to breath and eat at the same time. He's been having a hard time getting those nasty little bubbles up too. So when he actually has a bubble he gasps for a breath. He did this Sunday night, but it was scary. I wasn't feeding him or anything, I think that he was just working on one of these bubbles that we couldn't get earlier. He started gasping and I was watching him, but he didn't stop gasping, instead his little body went rigid and his arms and legs where shaking and he kept gasping for a breath. It scared me, I was crying and freaking out, and so Bridger was crying and freaking out too. Everything I knew how to do wasn't working. I tried putting him on his side and sucking him out with the bulb syringe, it wasn't working. I put on on his belly and tried patting his back and it wasn't working, so I screamed for Jake. He came to the rescue like always. He took Theron and did the same things I was doing, and at the same time was staying calm. Eventually he got him under control, and calmed me and Bridger down too. Needless to say after that we didn't let Theron sleep alone, he was in our bed. And for all of you that don't agree with babies in the bed, kiss off. I've had 2 babies with Central Apnea and I wasn't about to loose a baby overnight. Sunday night was very exhausting. Jake and I both were up probably every 20 to 40 minutes feeding, changing, burping and soothing our new little person. Monday was about the same we both didn't get any sleep trying to figure out this little guy from the night before. Trying to Nurse a baby that is trying to still figure out how to breath is hard. I either drowned him or myself trying to get him fed. In the mean time I'm completely spent. My lower belly was killing and I was having a hard time staying on top of the pain. I was engorged like nothing else and I was so dang tired that I couldn't really sleep when I did lay down. Or when I actually started to sleep my body would jerk so hard that it would wake me up and I would do this over and over. I guess when I'm exhausted my body thinks it's time to convulse. You know those nap jerks that make you feel like you're falling off a cliff? It was hard to actually fall asleep when it was time too. A second night like the first made Tuesday difficult to get through. Tuesday day wasn't as bad with pain and exhaustion. I could sleep when I actually wasn't interrupted. I kept hearing crying babies in my sleep though. Every time I'd start to dream I'd hear a baby and jump up to soothe it some how. Jake got called in to work Tuesday afternoon and didn't get home until nearly 2am. Luckily, Lacey helped me get kids into bed by 8:30pm and Nancy and Ken came over to hold the baby. That was kind of nice for a little bit to kick back and not have to worry about disobedient kids, and everything else that seems to be over baring when Jake's gone. When I actually got to bed Jake got home and Theron only woke twice to eat and what not. So Wednesday was actually much easier to deal with than Tuesday or Monday. Wednesday Jake stayed home for the last day and we watched movies and traded who was changing diapers. It was so much easier than the other days before. I could lay down for a nap and kind of fall asleep. Thursday was the first day for me home without Jake. I would have to say this day would have to be labeled as a "Crappy Day" literally. Bridger woke up and his diaper some how during the night had partially come off. After the boys had left for school earlier than permitted, Bridger came into my room and squatted and pooped his diaper, so I thought. While I was feeding the baby he stood up and peed and I heard it hit the floor. As Bridger stood there with both legs spread apart he was saying, "eww, pooh" So I asked EmberLee to help him by taking off his Jammie's. So she unzipped his PJ's to find the present that he left. His diaper half off and stuck about mid thigh. When he said, "eww, pooh" he wasn't kidding. it was down his leg into the foot of his Jammie's, I was forced to cut off the great feeding session with Theron. I jumped up to clean Bridger up. As I was pulling his Jammie's off I had some how managed to flip his nasty poop all over my feet. I picked up Bridger like a foot ball and carried him butt faced out, to the shower. I decided that after cleaning up Bridger, and my feet, Ember needed to bath as well for school so I asked her to get into the shower and she didn't like that idea. She kept saying, "no way mom, there's poop in there." After she examined the shower and made sure it was poop free, she finally got in. We got her and Bridger dressed and her off to school. Thankfully I have Lacey across the hall that is willing to step in where I can't. She took EmberLee to school for me. I got the baby up and was changing him from the feeding that I couldn't finish. While I was cleaning up his poopy mustard diaper (#1 diaper) I thought I was doing great by putting a fresh diaper (#2 diaper) under him. I had nearly got him cleaned up and about to slide the nasty diaper out from under him as he decided he wasn't done yet, he pooped up my arm, it made it to my elbow, all over my hand and was dripping off onto the carpet. Tasty huh? Bridger again was just as grossed out as this morning and started yelling, "ewww, pooh" over and over. I was laughing and wiping up poop off my arm the carpet and the baby. I had to start fresh. I started putting diaper (#3 diaper) under his clean bum. As he thought that the 1st time wasn't good enough. He did it again. Up my arm, all over my hand, he sprayed my shirt and my PJ pants and on the nice clean diaper and the carpet. I couldn't help but laugh. I can't believe such a tiny little body can do so much damage. So the 4th diaper was the charm. I cleaned him up the best I could, and put Bridger down for a nap. Lacey held Theron while I showered, bless her heart. After my shower I decided to eat and bath the baby while Bridger was sleeping. He loved it. I did one half at a time. covered him in a towel and washed his tiny little head. He loves his hair washed. Through all this he didn't cry once. I got him dressed, fed and bundled him up and put him in the swing. I finally got a minute to myself and ate some lunch, and picked up the living room. I had to take some pictures of the baby after Ember got home from school and the kids had to join in. Our night was as smooth as the night before. Our little man only woke twice to eat. So when Bridger goes down for his nap I may be able to get one too. Today is my second day without Jake, I hope it goes as well as yesterday. Minus the poop of course. We started out with just a leaking diaper from Bridger and thankfully it wasn't poop :) We got peaches last night, so I've got to track down some canning stuff. We'll have enough to do at least 14 Quarts. I'm suppose to still be taking it easy. I know what our weekend is going to be like. And I have a box of tomatoes too. But now my house smells like peaches, not poop :)

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I was eating a Taco Bell 7-layer burrito as I was reading your post. I had just taken a big bite when I read "tasty, huh?" Yes eating a burrito while your talking about poop is so tasty! I just about lost my lunch, but I had fair warning, you told me or blog was about your crappy day. Hope today goes better. Hang in there!

Kristalyn said...

Doesn't it seem like the two in diapers always poop at the same time, or close to it?! What a morning, hopefully that will be the worst of it. It sounds like you handled it well! Congratulations on the adorable little boy!