Sorry it's taken so long to actually sit down and make a blog about such an important event. I've been so trashed. No one told me that having your tubes tied has an actual pain scale involved. If I would have known the intensity I would have made Jake do the snip instead. Too late now.
On Friday Sept 5, 2008 I woke up with some bleeding and no contractions. I called Jake and he headed home so that we could make sure all was well. We headed to the Midwife's office to find out that apparently I had been contracting sometime over night, because I was dialated to a 3 and was on a roll. Contractions were kicking in and so we did some of our labor at home. When I couldn't stand it anymore, and Jake couldn't keep me calm and collected anymore, we headed to the hospital, in the traffic might I add. When we got there it was around 6:30pm or so. I was scared that I was going to get sent home with the contractions and be in pain at home still. Luckily when I was checked I was at a 5cm.

I requested my epidural right then. Maybe it was more like a plead than a request. I got moved to the birthing room and got set up. It took some time to get the IV in and get through a few more contractions before Dr. Lyman (my savior of the hour) came in to give me my pinch of heaven. I was at a 6cm by then. The Nurse said that a centimeter an hour was good progress especially if I was making the progress on my own without medication. I signed papers for my tubes that would be broken after the baby came. We couldn't get a hold of our Midwife because her phone wasn't working properly. So Claudia, the midwife on call was letting us know that she would have to deliver if we couldn't get a hold of Kathryn. Our midwife finally answered her phone and told Claudia to break my water to let me progress. I was at a 7cm by then. So when Claudia broke my water we found out that we had maconium in the amniotic fluid. Kathryn got there and we decided to do a flush to make the fluid thinner. She had explained that this happens when either the baby is over-due, or if the baby was in distress at some point. Kathryn had said that the fluid at this point was a little thinner than split pea soup. So she put a little hose thing in place to flush the maconium to make it thinner. Our hope was to make it easier for Theron when he was born, so that he didn't have to stuggle as hard.

We just sat and chit chatted with the nurse and Kathryn about names that people name their kids that they shouldn't like, CR Cox, and Richard Dick, and Sharon Dickey. You get the idea. Then in mid-sentance I let everyone know that I thought it was time to possibly push. Sure enough I was ready. His head was right there. Jake wasn't able to help deliver this time because of the nessesity we had in handing Theron to the NICU nurses. I pushed 2 times and he was here.

Kathryn sucked his throat out as fast as she could, to keep him from inhaling the meconium and then handed him over. They ended up sucking out 8 ml of meconium from his stomach and 1 ml from his lungs.

We examined the cord and noticed that Theron was in distress at one point or another during the end of the pregnancy. He had tied a perfect knot in his cord. Kathryn said, "he'll grow up to be a great scout one day huh?" This whole thing inspired his middle name.

Theron Scout Lyman was born at 10:20pm he wieghed 7lbs. 1 oz. and he was 18 1/2 in. long. My smallest baby yet.
He has these cute little feet that remind me of a little monkey or ape or something.

His little feet are so long and his toes are just as long and he can do this cool little trick where he can grab your finger with his toes. His pinky toe reminds me of a piece of macaroni noodle or something. I'm pretty impressed with the magical things he can do with his cute little feet.

He looks a lot like Bridger when he was born and he has little things that make him look like his sister too. He's a good mix of both...Can you guess which baby is Theron?


While I was in surgery Jake was given the task of taking pictures of our new baby on his adventure in the new world, getting his shots and getting cleaned up. Jake said that he loved getting his hair washed. Do you think it was Herbal Essence?
He was ready for mom that was for sure.


We had some visitors come and see the new baby. We tried to get a picture of everyone that came. We failed miserably on a few people, especially one person. She knows who she is and she was there with us through it all.
Roger, Christy and Baby Katie came.
Theron's brother

Bridger, his big sister EmberLee

and his older brother

Austin came, and His oldest

Brother Kurtis.
His Papa Steve and Grandma Virginia came to see him too.
Some of our really good friends came too. Ken and Nancy Roberts. It was fun to have them come because they're going to be having a baby in about 10 weeks too. It's so fun to watch another father go gaw, gaw over your baby. I think Ken was more excited to hold our new Baby Theron than Nancy. It was fun to watch them together needless to say.
We also had Keith and Lacey come with their kids. Michael had to hold Theron too. The Wilson's have been awesome to help us as much as they have through this ordeal. I'm grateful for their hospitality and their kindness they have shown toward us. It has made having this baby so much easier.
His Grandpa Lyman came, with his Grandma, along with Cathy and Lurain. The camera was forgotten at this point our day was so long. And frankly I just forgot too, but we still them just the same.
When Papa Steve and Grandma Virginia left they took The 3 older kids home with them and left Bridger with us. Jake had fun playin peek-a-boo in the cupboard.
Infact we all learned that Jake can fit in there too like Bridger.....maybe not like Bridger but it was sure funny watching him try.

Sunday morning came and we had a visit from our Midwife Kathryn. She came by so that we could go over everything but also so that she could get a picture with our little man Theron. She told us that she has now delivered 10 families now that she's delivered at least 3 of their children. We are one of these couples of course. The oldest child that she has delivered is starting kindergarten this year. EmberLee is one of the older babies she's delivered at preschool age. Kind of cool to say I think. We love Kathryn. We are done, but I would still recommend her to anyone. She has also delivered our little neice Katie. She's definitely in the family :)

We came home Sunday afternoon. We were out of there around 4pm or so. I was exhausted and Jake was too. We had Bridger that needed his nap and wouldn't sleep at the hospital and we got ready and came home. It was nice to get home. My dad brought the kids home around bed time. It was nice not to have to pawn them off on anyone else. I was glad that my Dad offered to take them. I am glad that the kids got to spend time up at Grandpa's. Now the next few weeks will be recovering and figuring out this little body that now lives in our home. Nursing him has been hard to want to do. But I have to say that I've tried. I'm so glad that I'm not pregnant anymore. It's even more exciting to say that there won't be any more babies from me. Planned anyways. If it ever did happen from me it would be in someone elses hands not mine or Jakes :)
8 comments:
What a little champion he is!!!! It scares me to death to think about how close it came to something happening to him. He really was in someone else's hands. Kathryn is the best there is, but having Him on your side is much better. He delivered Theron safe and sound and now you can all get back to being a family and enjoying that wonderful little spirit.
Thank you so much!!!!
Congratulations! He is so cute! I can tell the top picture of the two is Emmberlee only because the lighting is different otherwise they look the same. Am I right?
Okay wait, I change my vote! The upper picture is Bridger and bottom is Theron. Right?
Wrong all together wrong, top is Theron, middle is EmberLee, and bottom is Bridger. Good guess though :) They do look a lot a like for sure.
Congrats!
Congratulations!! So happy you and your bundle of joy are home and doing well :)
He is so cute Ty! WHen I come visit Lace next, I'll stop by. :) PS- I can't believe Jaek fit in the cupboard....that's hillarious! all my husband did was sleep when I was in the hospital.
Congratulations! He is such a doll, and so tiny. Those are some really sweet pictures of Theron with his siblings.
Post a Comment