Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Lock out

I'm a lot like Shelly, I loose my keys more than anyone, or lock them in my car :). Infact right now I'm going on uhhhh......6 to 9 months of missing keys. I kind of wonder if Bridger threw them away though. I even have extra keys with my in-laws, my aunt, an extra set in the house, and of course the magical magnetic box under the car. Although that is also what I'm using for my van key right now (I carry around a single key). Jake doesn't like me touching his keys at all. He's afraid I'll loose his too. My most serious lock-out was when Bridger was still in an infant car seat. Ember was in her toddler car seat. I was at a WIC appointment and I had started the car while I was inside with the keyless remote (when you do this it locks all the doors). When I got to the car, I had unlocked it with the button on the remote and then reached over the back of the passanger seat and dropped the diaper bag, the keys, my cell phone, and my WIC packet onto the seat. I got Bridger locked into his carseat base, while I was doing this EmberLee was climbing all over the van playing with buttons and switches and whatever else she could. Mind you this was in the heat of the summer. I had shut that door and walked around to the other opened door to get EmberLee locked into her carseat. When I had finished I shut the door and went to open my door and it was locked. I tried to open EmberLee's door and it was locked, I walked around to the other side of the car and Bridger's door was locked too. EmberLee must have locked it when she was playing. I started to panic, because when you start the car with the keyless remote it only stays idling for 20 minutes, then turns off. At this point I'm sure it had already been 10 minutes at least. A lady had pulled up to the side of me, for her appointment. She saw me in a panic as she watched me begging EmberLee to try and reach for the lock, Ember was strapped into her carseat and couldn't reach it. My kids don't learn to undo their carseats until they're at least 2 1/2 years old or older. EmberLee started to panic too because she could see me panicing. That set Bridger off. This nice lade had finally offered to help. I asked her if she had a cell phone, or if she could go into WIC to call for help for me. I didn't want to leave EmberLee with a stranger after I was already in panic mode. The lady left me with her cell phone and I called Orem Police, I have that number memorized :) (I call for all kinds of reasons often, by the way). I let them know that my car was started, but wouldn't be shortly, and my 2 kids were in the car, we were in the triple digit heat that day. They were there in a matter of a few minutes, just in time for my van to turn off. With them they also brought a fire truck a cop car and an abulance. They got it open in a matter of a minutes and I pulled EmberLee out of her carseat, and loved her, so that she would know that everything was fine. Bridger calmed down imediately, after realizing he was fine. We went home and had a normal day from there. I told Jake what happened and he just shook his head. I don't think he was too suprized. I'm just glad that Orem Police have this option, especially when kids are involved. I guess the police don't want to come out when you have cooked kids in the car :)That's probably why we had the whole emergency team with them. This is my tag to who ever wants to do it :)

2 comments:

karijean said...

This is my worst nightmare. I'm so sorry that it happened to you. yoou know my lockout story already. I can't think of another one.

Someone else said...

Wow, you got the whole shebang when you called the police. I'll bet that created quite a stir. You sure do know how to make an impression. : )