Saturday, April 18, 2009
Happy Birthday Kurtis
So I now officially have a teenager living in my house. WOW!! I can't believe it's been that long since I started Motherhood. Jake the other day reminded me that in 2 years we could possibly be having him behind the wheel....HOLY CRAP am I that old?
Kurtis is very dear to my heart. He started in a very difficult part of my life. 13 years later he's become such a great kid. I haven't done it alone thoug, infact Kurtis helped me find Jake.
As most of you know, Kurtis and Austin aren't Jake's Blood. We have been working on Jake adopting both of the boys since November of last year.
When I was a single mom dating again I had a hard time trying to find someone to settle down with. I did an aweful thing, I used Kurtis as my guide. Austin is very outgoing, and not afraid to talk to anyone, he wasn't afraid to turn on the charm for anyone. So as I would date when I was OK with the prospect of marriage I would bring the boys around the "prospect" and watch Kurtis. He would tell me if he liked or didn't like him. Kurtis would sit back and watch his brother turn on the charm and watch Austin get all the attention, and later I would be the one to hear from my "prospects" that Austin was so adorable.
When I was dating Jake at our 2nd date Jake came to the door and Kurtis answered it, he yelled through the house, "Mom, your BOYFRIEND is here" I responded back to Kurt, loud enough for Jake to hear, "He's not my boyfriend" and then I apologized to Jake for Kurts rudeness. Later that night Kurt asked if Jake could be our DADDY. I was shocked. Kurtis had warmed up to Jake before I even aloud Jake around my boys. One night after dating for a few weeks Jake had told me that Austin was cute, but the one he really liked was Kurtis. As soon as I heard that Jake felt the same about Kurtis I knew that it was going to work. It has, it's been a struggle when Eddie's been in the picture but Jake has treated the boys as his own, in all aspects.
After Jake and I got married and we came back from our honeymoon, the first morning when Jake left for work Kurtis asked where Jake was. I told him that he had to go to work, but he'd be home after work. Kurt asked a few questions to make sure that Jake wasn't going anywhere. A few days later when Kurtis saw that Jake wasn't leaving us, he started to call Jake Dad and Austin soon followed. Kurtis was 6 when Jake and I got married. When Eddie is in the picture there seems to be a wall between Jake and Kurtis, but when that wall is lowered for Jake I've seen the most awesome relationship there.
Kurt is very dear to me. I'm so grateful he's part of my life, and a part of our family.
He's such a crazy kid. For his birthday he also didn't want a party so because he's so trendy :) we gave him a gift card to walmart and my dad did the same. So he got a new wardrobe for his birthday. He would have gotten shoes too, but I was done waiting for him to pick which ones. He's worse than any girl I've ever shopped with.
So now he's walking in new clothes.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KURTIS. WE LOVE YOU!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kurt you are a good kid. Hope your birthday was happy! Good job on picking such a good daddy!!
It is so nice to see Kurtis happy again. That young man has had more to deal with than most people should ever have.
I hope some day that he can see Jake as the father that he needs and learn that Jake really does love him. He has had so much "input" from other parties, about that.
He is a good kid. No doubt about that. He was always a sweetheart. It just got buried for a while, but I can see him coming back!!! It truly is good to see.
Someday maybe he will learn that the rest of his dads family loves him too!
Post a Comment