Wednesday, August 26, 2009

OUR REAL 1ST DAY OF SCHOOL

EmberLee has been so excited for this day to come. I've been the nervous one. Last Thursday I took her to go and meet with her teacher as you all know. She did great. All weekend long she kept singing her days of the week song to count down the day when she gets to go on the "big" school bus without mom, and to not have to see her older brother's all day long. We got up early and got ready for school, in fact I think she was actually up at 6:30am when Jake left for work. She wouldn't stop talking until we got her in the shower at 7am. She got ready so fast that we ended up at the bus stop early, so I decided that a few pictures would be fun. Of Course our little Bridger had to come like last year, he had to be in the pictures with her. When the bus got there she was so excited to get on, she wouldn't hold still for a picture (hence the blur). Once she got on she waved.............And off she went into the foggy distance :) Ya like that? I think the fog adds to the story a bit. LOL, the flashing light way down there is the bus getting ready to turn the corner out of sight. As I walked back to the house with Bridger in hand I started to cry, I couldn't stop my tears. I was more afraid of that "big" bus than she was, it came and took my only baby girl away......to school. Bridger asked if I was hurt and I couldn't help but laugh. I told him no, then he said, "Mommy, why are you crying then?" I answered him with, "Mommy's just sad to see EmberLee leave to go to school" with his 2 year old little reply he said, "I'm not, I'm happy, now I'm the big kid." I couldn't help but laugh. When we got inside we started our 1st day of home schooling with the boys. Every morning we start out with an opening prayer(because we can), we say the pledge to our little flag, we ping a bean into our 100 days of school jar for our party, we go over our rules and our schedule for the day. Then we read the Book of Mormon(because we can), and our chosen book(the Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney), then we trade off on break times, the 1st kid to not take a break gets to blog his journal entry for the day. Then he can take a 15 minute, and then we trade. After break and journal blog is done, we move onto Math. After that, we move to English...grammer, spelling, you know the boring stuff that most kids hate :) Monday we did History, after that we had our lunch and back to the grind. Typing was up next.....we traded again, while one kid was doing his lesson online the other kid was working on his spelling words. By then it was 2pm and we were done. The kids were really great. I made them come up with their own rules. I like em, they were very thoughtful. 1. NO SMOKING out of your ears. (don't get frustrated, be patient) 2. BE RESPECTFUL 3 PARTICIPATE Most everything we do for homeschooling comes from off line. It fits into the curriculum for each of the boys and we don't move on until I know they understand the concepts, unlike the public school system. You know the famous take a quiz. Not all kids will pass....you know the grades....3/10. The paper gets sent home with this scoring and nothing was done about it. This is part of the reason I'm homeschooling, my kids will understand what they're learning. We will not move on until I feel that they understand it. There is my soap box...sorry. The boys had free time from 2-4pm when EmberLee got home off the bus. She had a long day...very good, but long. She was ready and in bed by 7:30pm. I think our first day went really well.

3 comments:

Wilson Clan said...

Poor mom. It sounds like it was harder for you than the kids. LOL I guess Em is a big girl now, huh? I'm glad to hear that school things have started so well. I hope they continue to go well. Bridgy makes me laugh. I miss his funny sayings. I applaud you for your willingness to homeschool the boys. It isn't easy, but I know you'll do very well at it:)

Nancy said...

Ty, I also cried the first time that big bus took Todd to school. And Ken cried the first day Sydney started school. It's hard to turn then over to be in someone elses care. It's scary.

Sounds like a great day with the boys. I love your routine. Good for you.

On a sad note...Did you know that Alisha Sheffield passed away on Tuesday? She was diagnosed with cancer in early July and died very quickly. Sad, huh? Four little children without their mom, it breaks my heart.

Lowe Family said...

I hate seeing all these kids grow up. It's nice that you have the desire to homeschool, I would be way too lazy :) I'm glad they're liking it though, I can see how it could be tons of fun!