Thursday, October 29, 2009
Top 3 things to work on
As we are reading the Book of Mormon in our reading, and we haven't missed a FHE since we've been here, and we are so much better at a lot of things. I have to tell you that I've been humbled. I have sat down and made a list of things I think I struggle with the most and I've narrowed a few things down that I need to change within myself...
#1 Swearing: So as some of you know, I've got a potty mouth. I've learned that here in Alaska where I don't have any people to pass on my bad habits to, It has become so much easier to kick this awful habit. In fact I've been trying to replace some of my words with other words or phrases. Like Son of a Turkey, or bisquits and Gravy, or oh nuts....nuts have entered a few different phrases. I had an experience today where we were between things and the kids were happily running through the house playing tag or whatever. I just felt a tad bit anxious with all the noise. So when the kids came back downstairs with their rowdiness I said, "Hush your nuts" EmberLee then said, "I would mom, but I don't have any" as she giggled, Bridger then without skipping a beat said, "I DO, my nutsh are huthed". I couldn't help but laugh. So I'm back to square one. I've got to find a different replacement word or phrase. I meant like nuts from a tree not Testicles :)
#2 Yelling: I find myself feeling overwhelmed, especially when Jake isn't home and I'm trying to close down our evenings, or when it's time to clean up. The kids look at me like retarded or something and go about whatever else they were doing. Which escalates my frustration and my mood. I end up screaming at them, sometimes with that out of body experience. I've found that praying in my shower in the morning, where no little people can interrupt me and my quiet time, reading our scriptures, and breathing deep through out the day has helped some. We've also started our Accountable Kids (another blog). This lowers the filthiness of our house, there for lowering my anxiousness. Then I am happier and I don't yell. We all win :)
#3 being Judgemental: This is more of a problem than I have noticed before. I know I've done this throughout my years growing up. In-fact I've really caught myself doing it here more than anything. Here in Alaska there are lots of things to watch and notice, like the smokers here in Alaska, the obesity that goes on here too is out of control. Not only adults, but obese parents buying soda and other junk foods with their child pushing their cart at the store. They are just as obese if not worse. It makes me angry that people are debilitating their children. I almost always say something out loud to Jake when we're in Walmart or Fredmeyers or where ever. When I noticed that I do this when ever I go out. I decided that it makes me feel horrible inside when I'm doing this. So after talking to Jake, I've decided that the best thing for me to do is control my outbursts, and if I do say something, I only say "how sad" and turn my head and walk away. Leave it at that, and not talk about them anymore. The people here aren't like the people back home. There are nice people, and there are weird people, and anti-social people... but I have to remember that God loves them too, just like he loves me and my family, they are also his family, and they are my family just as well, A Heavenly Family. I had a friend that pointed out to me a saying that has also helped....it was said by Mother Teresa, something like this. If we are too busy Judging others, we don't have enough time to love them. I agree with that fully. I've been trying very hard not to be rude and not Judge others.
With my progress I may come back home to Utah, not swearing, yelling or judging....that's not so bad is it???
My Challenge to anyone reading this...take a few minutes to jot down some things about yourself that you notice you would like to change. Even if it's small...then blog about it and share your growths :) Lets all become better people....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's awesome Ty. I have been working on some of those same things for a long time. It works. But, I will tell you that it is something that you will continue to work on throughout your life.
I, too, never realized how negative I am. Norm said something to me about it once and ever since then I have tried to find something good instead of something bad. If there is someone that catches my eye for some reason or another, I will try to say something like "look at the color of her hair", or, "I love that shirt". It really has helped me to stop noticeing the bad, instead of the good. Now, I can say, "I really don't think that car is very attractive", instead of "Wow, that car is really ugly". I have also tried to, when I notice someone wearing a pretty skirt, or something like that....to tell them. Sometimes it ends up making a friendship! Sometimes it just opens up a conversation, but that is good too.
I am still working, and always will. Being judgemental has been very difficult for me to work on cause I hate it when people judge me.......duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I admire you for working on these like you are, and you will do fine.
I'm so proud of you Ty!! I have noticed when we are talking you don't swear as much and you have been choosing differents phrases. You can always pull a Lacey and say "fudgesicles and donughts" LOL. It's WAY funny when little kids say it:) At least you are trying to be more Christ like. Kudos sis. :)
Post a Comment