Saturday, April 24, 2010

Curriculum Fair

Before we left to Anchorage Bridger got caught between Alejandro (on the left) and Ruben (on the right). Doesn't he look so tiny? Before we left Bridger had to ride in the back in his carseat for safety. I am closing our first year of homeschooling, and I'm pushing onto next year. The fun part of doing that is I had the chance to go to Anchorage and spend some of my allotment for next year. On curriculum. They have a fair where all the Vendors come and have their stuff out for you to see and touch, and buy. I found some really cool things. Like Austin's new favorite math books. Life about Fred . I found a fun curriculum for Kurt that will cover PE, Science, and history all in one, he will have weeks to study outdoor survival, and then when he's done he will go on a 9 day camping trip with his "class" to use what he's learned. He's signed up, and I know that he's going to LOVE IT. I also found a few games that will help them a lot, and it's not the boring thick text books, but they will be learning the same things much easier :) Before we got into the building we parked up on the parking garage and got a great view of the cook inlet. We also got a great picture of everyone that came to the fair with us (minus me). We walked all the way over to the building in the center of this picture. The long building with the tinted windows on the front. Before lunch, the kids got kind of board checking stuff out and came and found something better to do. For lunch we went back to the car and ate sandwiches that Candy made for everyone (she is such a life saver, man I love her to death, she thinks things through when I don't). On our way back we saw some colorful moose, and some awesome sea life. For me the highlight of our day was meeting and purchasing all of Jim Weiss's CD's He is so successful, but one of the most humble men I have ever met. His wife was there with him. Watching her and the respect he had for her was so inspirational to anyone. He was so grateful to have anyone there. I think the neat thing was, he took the time to sit and sign a CD for each of the kids. If you didn't know who he was you would have thought that this was his first year, and that he had never sold a CD ever before. What a neat man. Very neat to have met him. I would recommend his CD's to anyone. Now we're on to another successful homeschooling year.

3 comments:

Virginia said...

What a fun trip to Anchorage. I'm glad you were able to find such neat curriculum. The one for Kurt sounds perfect for him! I'm glad I was able to go to the "school store" with you while I was there. What a fun day.

Tara said...

the course that ends with a camping/survival trip sounds completely awesome!!

Someone else said...

Wow! What a great trip. I would love to have been there. I don't get any kind of alotment nor is there any kind of curriculum fair. I'm so glad homeschooling is going so well for you. You are an inspiration to me. Great pics of your trip too.