Saturday, July 10, 2010

ALL for the name of SCIENCE

We're getting ready for this next school year, finding the kids Curriculum and getting together Science projects for the year. We're putting together field trips, organizing their subjects, and most importantly getting their schedules in order. Not just for the kids that are doing school, but all 5 of the kids. I get to match them with my schedule so I can make our day work again. With organization. I am planning to have this year much more organized than it was last year. Austin is able to move up a year in his curriculum (8th grade), due to the AWESOME scores he got from the federal testing last year. He is well above and beyond the kids his age. On his paperwork we will be keeping him at his grade level (7th). Doing this will allow him to get college classes for free and he could have his Associates by the time he graduates. That's if he would work hard. Which brings me to my next point. Because of the tragic loss of Corndog (Austin's bearded dragon) Jake and I discussed letting Austin try again. I've been been watching on Craigslist for bearded dragons, and possibly a bigger tank. Austin has been also looking with me. I found a guy that breeds them for a hobby. We spent $69 on Corndog, plus his tank and light and accessories...These ones were $40 each. So I took down Danny's name and told him we would come to Anchorage on Friday to come and get them. For science we were going to breed them. They sale up here for about $75-$150 for babies, when a female lays eggs she lays between 10-30 eggs at a time. We figured it would be fun for Science, but in the end we can make a few bucks for the kids. All the research that has been done was Austin's doing. He is amazing at learning something new. Anyways, Austin also found a cage, but it came with a grown bearded dragon and it was cheaper to do that than buy a big cage alone. Austin called and left a message that he was interested. John (the owner) called back and Austin was gone. He told me that he had a lot of people calling about him, but he wanted him to go to a kid. Someone that could be with him and give him the attention he needed. All the callers were adults that had jobs in the day and that didn't have the desire that he felt they needed to have his Bearded Dragon. We initially talked about selling the bearded dragon so we would just have the breeder cage. So off we went. We drove to Big Lake about 20 minutes from where we live. Jake and the owner put everything in the car. As we were getting ready to leave Jake says, "How much were you asking again?" getting ready to pay him, money in hand and John responded, "Just have fun with him" Jake and I both were floored. He wouldn't take our money. We got over $200 worth of Bearded Dragon and supplies for nothing. We got home and the kids were completely EXCITED. They agreed that the big one would be Kurt's. He named him Big Daddy. After we came home, got him set up, I had called the Danny who breeds them, the one that charged $40 each for the babies. And had gotten his address to come and get them. We were on our way. Date night/science pick up. It was so amazing to see how organized this guy was. He lived in a trailer park, but had the yard of an old lady. So perfect. Groomed and organized. His shed that was for his breeding was ORGANIZED. He had corn snakes, mice for them, Big Bearded Dragons, baby Bearded Dragons, incubators, crickets for the dragons all this was neatly arranged. All of them were very well taken care of. The babies we got were way more healthier than Corndog was. In the box on the way home they were so full of life. They were so gorgeous. The coloring they have are just amazing to me. So cool. We got them home and settled and today we've just enjoyed a fun day of having them and getting them settled. I got the camera out and when I did we got the coolest display. Runt (Austin's new lizard, the only baby boy) was showing off for the camera. He kept venting, which is when he looks like he's gasping for air. When I moved to the corner of the cage he followed the camera and posed on the rock. Princess (Ember's lizard) came to check things out and joined in the fun. She climbed on his back and made it look as if I had posed them that way for the pictures. It was so cool watching with each click of my camera. I love the coloring difference between the two. So You've met Runt and Princess. Well here's Princess by her self. Me and Jake's Lizard is cool. She's the biggest female out of the 3 and she seems to run the cage. I named her mama. Her tail looks as if she was given the wrong tail. It's not the same as the rest of her body. It looks like Runts Head and her tail should have been put together. Princess is in the back, Runt is on the Log and Mama is at the bottom of the cage under the stick. In the second picture she is on the stick.....See where her tail meets the colors change. So weird....and Runts is by her. Her head though has pretty coloring. Well these are our Science projects for the year, if all goes well, we'll have some females laying eggs and some babies hatching by February or March. And for some of you that are wondering what if they don't sale? I can take them to the Breeder and he can have them, but he said that they do pretty well up here, we can also ship them....I don't know if we'd do that though. Anyways. Something fun to do for school, we'll have our own Science room LOL.

3 comments:

Norm and Frances said...

I am glad they are at your house and not mine. Couldn't handle it, but it does sound like something good for the boys. Hope you have lots of babies!

Virginia said...

What an AWESOME science project! We never had science like this in traditional school. How great that John wanted him to go to Austin and very generous that he gave you all the stuff. Way cool!

r said...

How fun! That will be an awesome science project that the kids will remember forever. Great pictures!