Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's been too long

There has been a lot going on around here. Then of course the new drama of a new job.....NO, not Jake, me :). I got a new job caretaking for a family in our ward that has a quadriplegic daughter. She got in an accident about 6 years ago and has been needing someone to help on the weekends. So I signed up. I'm getting paid $15 an hour. I'm only there for 8 hours. But that's 8 hours more an hour I was getting than before. Not to mention the love I have for serving others. Having it in the medical field makes it more fun too. I get there Friday night at midnight and stay till 4am. I put her in bed, keep a watch on her and her levels while she sleeps, and rotate her. In the midst of all that I can do all sorts of things, like scrapbook, and make all kinds of crafts, watch movies, read my scriptures, and most importantly, take advantage of the silence. I do this Saturday night as well. When I was preparing to work for this family, I had to certify for CPR and first Aid training, I had to go through the companies training, and last but not least I had to go have a Tuberculosis Test done. about 7 years ago I had one done and I was allergic to the test. I had briefly forgotten about it. Until the day I needed to go in for this one. I mentioned it to the nurse that was giving me the test. She just kind of ignored me and gave me the test anyways. 2 days later I was suppose to go back for a reading. When I did, the nurse there that wasn't the same nurse that gave it to me noticed it. She kept saying how weird it was, she had never seen anything like it. So she went to get a second opinion from another nurse, she was baffled too. So they brought me back to a room where the Dr could look at it. When he came in the room he wasn't sure about it. He got his pen and drug it down my arm and was forcing the skin to bulge around it. Convinced it was a positive (which he had never seen one before). He marked it on the paper as being a positive and instructed me to call the state and have it reported after my chest Xray. I was angry. They wouldn't listen to me at all. So later that night I went into the hospital to get a second opinion. I ran into the sweetest nurse ever. She looked at it and she recognized it as an obvious allergic reaction. She altered my paper work so that I could still work and recommend that I still come in for the Xray (just in case). I wasn't going to, but my helpful children used my test result paper as fire kindling. So I was forced to get an Xray anyway, which confirmed that I did not have Tuberculosis. I was told then to NEVER have the shot again. That yearly I would need to get a chest x-ray to prove my negative, for employment in the medical field. I was able to take the results into my new employer and have worked for 2 weekends in a row now. I love it. I've also picked up on my photography. I've been busy the last few weeks. Take a look at my photography blog, there are lots of updates the last couple weeks. The link is on the left. I've gotten the crafty inner self awake again and have been working on some things that I'm thinking about selling. we'll see how I actually move on that though. Ember is finally picking up the love for reading. I have found a reading system that works best for her. She is picking up on it fast and loves to be able to read the little books that I have found for her. It's a blast to watch her succeed and not get so frustrated. Our dog is doing great, and I will post some pictures of us and the lizards and other fun things when I don't feel so overwhelmed. I found out this morning that my Aunt Sharon has passed away. We don't know exactly from what yet. But she is no longer in pain, and isn't mentally sick anymore. I'm certain that her meeting with our family that has met up with her was special. Her daughter, my cousin Stephanie that was my age has had a sweet reunion I'm sure. My mom and her sister as well. My Great Grandparents were there along with many other family members. I'm sad that we have lost another family member, but am happy that she no longer has to suffer. I'm grateful for the knowledge I have of the plan of happiness. This is a lot of rambling, but for now I just wanted to blog so my dad didn't think I was dead. I'm still struggling with my depression. The winter is coming on fast and I don't have my depression under control yet. My meds aren't working very well anymore. So I will need to go back in. In the meantime there is a lot of days that I don't shower, School is done on my bed and my house is upside down, I drink more coke and eat more chocolate than normal and I just tend to shut down. So yes Dad I could definitely be doing better, but I'm at least doing a little more than I did before. I haven't ended up in a bar and I'm not dead. So here's to BLOGGING :).

2 comments:

Someone else said...

Congratulations on your job. That sounds like the perfect job and I'm sure the family is grateful to have you. My mom did a job like that for a little 5 year old on a ventalator. She absolutely loved that job.

Virginia said...

(From your Dad) Congratulations! I'm glad you're not dead.